Beware - potential advertising "scam"

Not sure which part of the forum this should be on as it applies equally to those selling French properties or offering accommodation in France. Perhaps the forum administrators can copy it to other sections as necessary.

A WORD OF WARNING! I have discovered there is a “group” of local UK newspapers trading under various names who are persuading people on the phone to advertise in their newspaper on the basis that it will be “handed out” at the French Property Exhibition. They have approached people with houses for sale in France as well as Gite and Cdh owners. Along with quite a few other people I took out an advert (fortunately at a much reduced price) only to discover the paper was not handed out at the exhibition and the organisers have told me they have no knowledge of them.

All these papers actually exist and apparently they are all connected through one overall company. They have used the same ploy for other different exhibitions and I am in contact with quite a few other people also trying to get their money back. Without naming names as I know they don’t like that on the forum, I strongly suggest that if you are approached on this basis that you first check with the exhibition organisers  to see that they are authorised to hand out anything. Some of the advertisers have also had unauthorised amounts collected from their credit cards!

The newspapers in question are known to Trading Standards who seem not to be able to do much!!

• 2 weeks later...
I had someone phone me from England yesterday, but they were French claiming to be calling on behalf of French Property News or Shop. Can't remember the name exactly. But they were asking me if I wanted to continue with my ad for the sale of my house.

Now, normally I'm reasonably up on things, but I didn't even know my house was for sale!!!

I wonder if this was part of the above scam.