Mayenne - France or not?

I just wondered if anyone who lives in Mayenne or has a home there could tell me more about the region. The reason for this is that we had a few days there a couple of weeks ago, but somehow, I didn't really feel I was in France. Don't get me wrong, I liked the area, but it seemed Swiss-clean, which is a rarity in France. All the houses seemed immaculate on the outside and so did the towns and villages. There also seemed to be a lot of new houses around smaller places compared to in other areas. The roads, are great - so smooth - so straight. But I suppose I'm attracted to places with more rusticity - and possibly decay. Did I miss something? Just to give you some idea, we were camping at Villiers Charlemagne, but from there went to Jublains, Ste Suzanne, Mayenne and Laval. For me the countryside was too flat in the south of the Departement, and more attractive in the north. I realise we weren't there for very long, but usually I get more feeling of Frenchness when passing through.

Jill (99)

Jill - I have to agree with you. We are just a few km from the Mayenne border, and although that's the northern part of the departement as soon as we cross into it the whole atmosphere changes notably for some reason, it just becomes flatter, more open and less populous.

It's certainly charming countryside, and very rural, but if you are looking for 'typically French' (whatever that is) it's not there. The towns are nice though.

Will (50)

I took a long drive yesterday and got lost a few times. If you go off the beaten track you'll find plenty of typical french towns and villages.
I live here permanently now and I absolutely love the countryside, the friendliness of the passing farmers etc.
I think you should try again.

Great posting. Let's have a few more like that. It will help ensure that Mayenne doesn't get like Brittany and Haute Normandy, tripping over the awful English everywhere.

I like 53 just the way it is. Have to say though that picking Laval and Mayenne Town is enough to put anyone off the region.