Any bridge players in Dept 17?

Hi Athene,

My wife and I play bridge and are in 17. We are near Montguyon so not too far away.  I'm in the UK at present but spend 50/50 time in France/UK monthly.

Hope we can make contact when you move over.

Regards

David J

"Always on the ball"

[quote user="Athene"]Thanks David! There are 8 of us so far, so we are getting there! Like you another couple are 50/50 residence.[/quote]

Eight of you, riches beyond Man's imagination [:D]

I asked about 18 months ago in South Vendée and came up with absolutely zilch so if the situation has changed here then I'd like to hear from you.

Benjamin - Have you looked for local Bridge Clubs? We joined one in Mirande and were made welcome - we were the only english. There was a bar and things to eat when you arrived and half way through. The language isn't much of a problem as the bidding was done with picture cards. There are various local and regional competitions. I'm sure there will be a club in your nearest town. Pat.

Thanks for that, Patf.

There is a club at Fontenay but that's a bit of a jaunt for me as we live near the coast. I'd always been led to believe that French Bridge clubs were populated by crusty snarling types who didn't welcome newcomers but your contra-experience obviously differs from that.

The other slight problem is that Mrs. Benjamin doesn't play Bridge and I don't know how well I'd get on working out obscure conventions in French ( Double Swiss anyone?) [:D]

Hello Ben!

well I have already been to the Jonzac bridge club and my experience is akin to yours! LOL!  First of all they play 'Ancienne Systeme' (maybe this is your Double Swiss by another name????) and you are not allowed to use any other bidding system. I asked the Director of my English club and he said that this was often the case around the world in different places he has played or in any big competitve event. Anyway, 'Ancienne Systeme' is totally different from Acol or SAYC, both of which I am used to, this is not to say that I will not get the book and teach myself if all else fails on the bridge front! However, the Jonzac club is VERY different from an English bridge club, more formal and, even though my French is very good, I found bridge in French a struggle! Even with bidding boxes! It was the post mortem after the hands that proved difficult! I can't say the people were very welcoming either, maybe because I had gone wearing a flowery trouser and shirt set - smart and would have been perfectly acceptable in any English club - but they were all dressed very formally and, in fairness, I did look too garden party-ish! As well, they were totally amazed that someone foreign had crossed their doorstep and said so continuously as I moved from table to table! The reason I had gone was in response to a flyer in the local bread shop appealing for new players and they had guaranteed to find you a partner. It had started at 2.00pm and I was still there at 7.00pm! My husband thought I had got lost!

My idea now is to set up a relaxed, social bridge circle that even players who have not much experience can come and play in a friendly atmosphere, wearing whatever is comfortable. (We might even play outside in the garden in summer, now that would be pleasant!) My husband is one of these inexperienced players, he says he plays a version of bridge akin to Snap! LOL! By this means he means he does not always remember every convention and point count but he can play the cards well if he is declarer!  So come on you lot, reading this, if you play and we are near you, why not give it a go?