Hi valB,

Is Mr valB ready for another riding experience after one of his adventures on horse-back. [blink]

My suggestion is go on www.pagesjaunes.fr and type in centre d'équitation for 79. There are many but not sure which one's are open for public rides.

I think Relais Equestre de l'Hermitain and Centre Equestre de Cherveux possibly do because they mention promenades and randonnées.  Most of them seem situated closer to Niort.

Hope this helps.

valB

There is an riding centre within 1 km of Melle on the NW side of town. It is on the Beaussais road D737, about 600 metres from the roundabout, on the left hand side and just past and opposite the furniture place Meubles Debiais. As far as I can remember it's called "Centre Equestre l'Entrier du Pays Mellois" at "Ferme de Lavau". I played there with our Big Band last week. Very nice people, very nice place!

Sid

Hello Sid  Found the stables OK and they are going on Monday evening. It is a really lovely place and the cost was only 18 euros for one hour which they said was a lot cheaper than UK. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly so thank you, sid, for the info.  Panda, we were on holiday many years ago and Mr valb, who had been riding several times in England, decided to go with another member of our group to go riding. The ride was actually a gallop along a five mile stretch of sand and his legs were rubbed raw desperately trying to grip so that he did not fall off. Then on the way back to the stables they were taken through woodland and the gap at one point was very narrow but his horse decided not to wait for it's turn through the gap and tried to get through with another horse. Consequently, Mr valb was thrown over the top and landed very heavily on his rear end. He was not allowed to use the swimming pool for days as he had plasters all down his legs and could hardly sit down for days. However, he has decided to go with visitors on Monday for the ride...watch this space.