Where is halfway between the sea and the mountains?

Hi

Hope somebody here will know this answer!

I am looking for the 'perfect' destination.  We love swiming and beach things in the summer and skiing in the winter and are willing to travel up to 40 mins to reach either on a daily basis....where do you suggest?  I have been thinking about the Dax/Pau region but think maybe we need to be below that main motorway.

Do you live in such an area?  Are house prices still good?

Thanks in advance

Louise

We also ski in the winter, the massive Central is about the same distance as the Pyrenees, an hour and a half. The Med or the Bay of Biscay is within 2 hours either direction. We live in the Dordogne.

As for house prices, I couldn't tell you, we bought 2 1/2 years ago and don't know what ours is worth now, as we have no intention of ever selling it.

You really need to spend a couple of weeks driving round the area you fancy. I agree perhaps the Pau area but not too near Pau which is quite pricey.  I think the countryside around Dax is flat and boring. In fact the Landes as a dept. with all its pine forests isn't very attractive IMHO, sorry anyone who lives there. Last year we saw a few houses to the east of the Pyrenees Atlantique which weren't too expensive. The Bearnaise style of house is very quaint.We love the Gers,and can get to the coast in 90 mins, likewise the mountains. How important is the beauty of the area in which the house is? Pat.

One thing I would mention (if you are a keen skiier) is the snow in noth Pyrenees and Massif Central is pretty unpredicatable and I am guessing this will only get worse with the progression of global warming.

We are now in mid / late Feb and, when I last checked, (a few days ago) the resorts in Pyrenees and Massif Central were still showing insufficient snow to ski with slopes closed.  If you want reliable snow you need to be looking at the Alps - and the higher Alps at that.

Kathie