Toulouse and Around

We have been in Languedoc for 2.5 years and are think of moving over towards Toulouse.  From the research my wife has done, it seems there is a huge climate difference from Languedoc (Herault) and also the regular blue skies we enjoy now are replaced with more of a English grey, with a large amount of rain of a regular basis.  Is this the case?  Also what is Toulouse like to live in?  Any information from current residents of the area (good and bad please) would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sharkster

In the absence of replies from anyone who lives in Toulouse, we know the city quite well and go there to shop regularly, and to Blagnac airport. It is a very beautiful city - La ville en Rose, buildings of pinky coloured bricks etc. Shops are fantastic. If you are reasonably young there's a very lively social and cultural life. I don't know about the climate in Herault but Toulouse has plenty of sunshine. I don't think we have ever been there when it was raining. Can't think of anything bad about it except that the peripherique gets a bit like the M25 in the rush hour. Pat.

Thanks Patf.  Actually went to Toulouse on Monday.  It was cold and grey but the weather all over recently has been odd.  I found it a little more enclosed than Montpellier (taller buildings and such).  Any more comments would be appreciated.

Why not explore the Lauragais area?  It's beautiful countryside but within 30 mins drive from Toulouse.  Depends on what kind of environment you want to live in - town or country.  We also used to live in l'Herault (between St Chinian and St Pons de Thomiere) and made the move to Soreze 3 years ago.  We found l'Herault to be too full of tourists during the summer and quite dead during the rest of the year.  We're right on the border of the Haute Garonne, Tarn and Aude departments and love it. 

If you like sunflowers - come on down!!

Everyone told us when we said we were moving to the Tarn that it always rains here and we'd regret it.  Not true! 

Good luck!

Janet

• 4 weeks later...

We live south of Toulouse in the Ariege but in the area close to the Aude and the Haute Garonne. Access to Toulouse is easy by the A66 or RN20. Sky looks very blue today and the Pyrenees are in the distance. What you need to be aware of in this area and the Lauragais is that it can get quite windy. It's a price worth paying as the climate is very good. Micro-climates abound in this area but generally, we find that it is drier here than slightly further south (Pamiers, Foix etc.) or west of the Ariege river. As for rain on a regular basis - no way!

Jan

• 4 weeks later...
Janet summed it up well I think - the Lauragais to the East of Toulouse is truly beautiful countryside.  Toulouse itself is a thriving city with plenty of employment opportunities and good travel connections.  I think it's a pretty city too. For a more "mediterranean" climate however (especially in winter) you would be better moving East and staying closer to the sea: there's not much in it, but Provence-cote d'azur is generally drier with more sun (slightly cooler summers and warmer winters too)

What's prompting the move?  What has initially tempted you about Toulouse?