You do know that there was a terrible catastrophy there several years ago and flood's regularly even now.... friend's nephew works there each summer. I hope that they have chosen their property and land carefully.

Re driving there, well I would have thought around 3 maybe 4 hours using the motorway as far as Orange.

Yes, Pat, know it well, we used to rent a house every summer just north of the town off the road to Nyons (cheapest gite in Provence we used to call it!). It's a lovely town, some worth-a-detour to see Roman excavations with particularly good mosaics, fabulous market. But last time I was there was very surprised at how much it's grown, many people are doing as your friends are and having places built in the vicinity, it's probably very busy in late July/August. Well worth a visit though and, of course, a superb base from which to see all the other gems in the area. Avignon's 30 mins away, Orange the same, Mont Ventoux similar.

Margaret

We bought a house in a village 5 km NE of Vaison 4 years ago and like it very much indeed - spend about 4 months a year there and will do more when we can. The '92 flood catastophe was caused by a build up of debris upstream which broke in a big thunderstorm and the surge did the damage. No significant problems since as far as I am aware though people get nervous during major storms like the last 2 Septembers' which caused so much flooding in the Rhone valley itself.

The town has a great combination of Roman, Medieval, + 19thC architecture and has concentrated on up-market tourism - lots of culture (music and art) etc. A number of decent restaurants (32 in the yellow pages!) and it stays alive in the winter unlike a lot of other places. Excellent weekly market. Summer does get very crowded like all of Provence. The surrounding countryside is a great mix of cultivation (good Cote du Rhone) and wild as it marks the start of the southern Alps.
Happy to comment further by email if you like.
Steve