Pickpockets in Montpellier

Hi

I was in Montpellier yesterday with visitors : a 79 yr old couple.

The wife was victim of a pretty professional pickpocket. No one suspected anything until she realised her handbag felt lighter - and it was !

And of course the pickpocket had vanished.

It is worth describing the incident as a warning.

Place : Le Comedie tram stop

Time : 12.30

How ? : An apparent beggar approached us as we got off the tram. She was unfolding a cardboard sign that had indecipherable writing. After being told NO, Go Away, etc, she moved in towards the wife holding up the sign and saying "Pour le bebe". She then came very close and appeared to stumble. Her other hand (must have been under the sign), opened the handbag and grabbed items. She then disappeared. There was no sign of her 30 seconds later when the wife realised what had happened.

Result : Could have been much worse. The front section held a purse, some postcards, and a few photos. The important stuff was at the back. Losses were a couple of credit cards (reported stolen immediately using the mobile phone she missed) and about Euro 100. A couple of hours with disinterested gendarmes completed the pain !

Description : The woman looked East European, short brown hair, slim, dark eyes, dark red top, back trousers aged about 40: in fact looked just like other "beggars". Curiously as she arrived she had what appeared to be a tram ticket in her hand. Escape clue, or disguise I don't know.

I was stood about 2m away and didn't notice a thing.

Take care

Peter

I know people this has happened to in Montpellier too.  I always keep a tight hold on my bright stripey Tots TV bag.

I've been told that the crime rate increases dramatically in the summer, as travelling folks of all kinds (beach bums, mobile SDFs, etc) head south for the sun.

It's a lovely city, but its seedy side is never far away.  Some days there are musicians, but other days it just seems to be full of beggars.    20 metres from the beautiful Comédie, there are some very dodgy grubby, graffiti-filled back streets!

I hope she's okay, that it didn't cause her too much stress and alarm.