Hi

Lyn( my wife) and I will be at our house near Chalabre( Aude) next week and are hoping that someone out there may know a somewhere that teaches skiing for absolute beginners locally. I appreciate it won't be real snow at this time of year( will it??) but we are keen to learn so that when we are back out over Christmas and New Year we can join all those thousands of people we saw last year enjoying themselves.

Arthur

Arthur,

I'm not sure how 'local' you would think Quillaine is, but if you're willing to drive (D117?) from Axat up to the lakes, there is a great ski school there - brilliant for kids and adults; equipment hire, home-made snow if necessary, the lot.

No, you don't need to book - but you can. However, you should try to get up there before 9:00 because the adult lessons begin (used to begin?) between 9:30 and 10:00, and its takes a while to get into your kit. Somewhere I have the resort 'phone number. I'll dig it out and and post it here this evening. It's probably a good idea to 'phone in advance anyway, just to make sure its all still running, that the ski lift is not being serviced on the day you turn-up!

House is now built - the team is doing the fit-out, and we're organising the difficult things, like finding a Foyer insert wood burner for the fireplace, light fittings etc. It's the "trying to keep the cost of extras down" phase of the project!

If I get the time I'll also post a picture or two, maybe.

Pip and I are out again on from early in December. Our best wishes to you.

Arthur, try this link http://www.pyrenees-online.fr/stations/formigueres.php

I can't find the brochure - sorry. And I'm not sure they are open, they are a bit too small to have their own web slot. But Formigueres certainly looks open (same area), and I note they have 64 snow cannons! If you have the time you should expolre the site.

Hope it helps. Have a great visit. Hope to entertain in Quillan when you get properly retired!!

Arthur

From Chalabre you are better off going to Mont D'Olmes very near Lavanelet. This is quite a good resort for beginners with a ski school where some of the instructors speak English, although I would definately book them in advance.

Obviously the resort is not open yet due to lack of snow but there has already been some white stuff up there and hopefully it won't be too long!

Ian

Thanks for that, too, Ian.

I've promised hergoodself that we will kit her out and set her on the slopes next year. But the drive up from Axat seems interminable - lthe longest 60 minutes ever - lovely for everyone except the one behind the wheel.