SINGLE MUM AND TEMPORARY VISIT

Hi

Im single Mum with l4 year old son, and looking to move out to Mougin/Cannes area for a year or two.  Various problems associated with the move i.e cannot drive at the moment, so need to be in an area where I can get about easily.  I am trying to get my son into the International School in Mougins, and wondered whether anyone had information on whether I could rent for this length of time - or would it be better to buy.  And would I be able to get part time work - anything really just to pay some bills.  Also, what is the situation with tax etc., if you are only there short term?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am quite nervous......

I don't agree about being unable to find work if you don't speak fluent french; if that were true 90% of Brits on the Côte D'Azur would be out of work. A good level of French is obviously a good starting point, but I'd suggest that you take a look at the Riviera Repoter website if you want to find out more about renting and job vacancies. If you can't drive, I'd suggest you look at Cannes as a starting point, as it has a quick and efficient train service.

When it comes to finding work in France, the Côte D'Azur is a little different to other areas of France and most Brits manage to find some form of employment.

Good Luck, (Better to be nervous than to later regret having never set out on the adventure!!)

Chris

Yes I have to agree the Cote D'Azur does offer a far better chance of a foreigner finding work than elsewhere in France and always has done. As Cjb says, it is very different to anywhere else in France and there are often jobs that can often be found at a moments notice.

We have had a few friends do occasional work in the Nice and Cannes areas. We know of a couple of Ozzies and Americans who like to work through the spring and summers down there, so give it a try, here's the site.

http://www.riviera-reporter.com/

You could also try http://riviera.angloinfo.com/

Good luck.

Thank you so much both of you for your replies - it has made me feel a lot better.  Im going through such traumas at the moment having lost my driving licence, partner and job all at the same time, so I need a fresh start (and some sun!)  You have given me some confidence and Im going out to see the school in Mougins next week.  Wish me luck!

Hello there! I found this site very useful for finding places to rent - was recommended on this site actually! 

http://www.petites-annonces.fr/pawebapp/jsp/home.jsp

Good luck in all your projects, or as they say here merde!  Another one before you go on stage is: 'boca lupo' and you answer 'crepi lupo' (not sure of spelling).  Basically translated go out there and do so well that the wolf who is scaring you will be so terrified he'll pop his clogs!

Caroline

Good luck and I really hope you get the break you sound like you very much need.  The change of scenery and pace of life should do the trick.  Problems don't really go away down here but they just feel more manageable.

One word of warning regarding rental is to get an understanding of additional cost such as electric and local taxes (similar to council tax).  The rent can often look surprisingly low compared to the Uk but then you get a stonking great electric bill in. If it's not an all inclusive price then ask to see previous bills.

Also, whatever you do, rent somewhere relatively draught proof and with good heating, as contrary to popular belief, it does get cold here in the winter!! If no proper heating, don't touch it with a barge pole, no matter how pretty.

I speak as one who learnt the hard way!!!!!