Salut,

Je suis Anglais, et j'ai l'intention de transférer à Montpellier cette Juillet.

En ce moment, je cherche les appartements a louer, mais j'aimerais demander le conseil sur les baux...

J'espère rester pour un temps long, mais ca dépend de comment bien je me débrouille, et donc je demande, est-ce que c'est facile à trouver un bail mensuel, sans un engagement long terme?

J'apprécierais n'importe quelles réponses, même si seulement à corriger mon français !

Merci,

Alex

I don't know about Montpellier specifically, but generally speaking it's relatively easy to find  somewhere by the month if you don't mind a holiday let, which will be much more expensive that a regular longer-term lease.   What might be sensible would be to look for a chambre d'hote for the first few months while you see (1) whether you are likely to stay for a long time or not and (2) which areas you like.  Good luck!

Thats very helpful, thanks.

I hadnt really considered staying at a hotel to be honest, I wanted something which felt a little more permanent in order to help me settle in more, and I would have assumed it to be expensive. Money is a bit of an issue, so if it works out better I will definitely consider it.

Now I just need a job.... hahaha

Thanks again.

Alex

Hi Alex

We rented a house "à l'année" to see if we liked being here - Brittany - we found it though the local paper. Although the lease is for 3 years we can give 3 months notice at any time and leave. So don't be frightened of renting - just be careful.

Sue

Thanks Sue,

Ideally I would like to have everything sorted before arriving, but I am definitely considering finding a hotel room and looking at local papers and adverts upon arrival. A situation such as the one you mentioned would be ideal really, 3 months notice is do-able in the worse case scenario, plus it means I get to actually see the property as apposed to going off potentially misleading photos...

Thanks again for being so helpful,

Alex

P.S. Despite what I have just said, could anybody recommend a good website with apartments to rent? It would be good to cover every option...

***P.S. Despite what I have just said, could anybody recommend a good website with apartments to rent? It would be good to cover every option...***

Hi Alex

We found the problem with web-sites advertising available apartments etc to rent is that, depending on the area, the turnover/turnaround was so fast in anything/anywhere decent that only the dross made it to the web-site.

Also, regarding agents, at the time we were looking we did not have the necessary paperwork to be able to comply with all the requirements needed for an agency rental contract. Which is when someone mentioned 'petites annonces' and the rest is history.

If you do rent then do some research on 'etat des lieux' - it is crucial you are aware of the important implications of this document.

Good Luck.

Sue

Again, thanks.

I looked up "etat des lieux" and am I correct in thinking it is a document in which the state of the property must be declared at the start of the tenancy? I could translate most of the information I found relatively easily, apart from a few of the specific legal words, but I have completed a similar document when taking a tenancy in England, so it shouldnt be a problem hopefully.

Is the documentation self-explanitory and easily obtainable in general? Or are there any documents I should spend time to sort out/apply for in advance?

You are very kind to take the time to reply to these questions, and I really appreciate you helping me to make the move possible!

Alex

Yes, 'etat des lieux' is just that - the state of the place. Problems can arise initially with interpretation of the state of things and the exigency of the landlord/lady eg our salon/sejour floor is tiled in off-white ceramic - the landlady wanted to tick 'parfait etat' til I intervened and said there were a few (very small) chips/dents/fine cracks so she duly noted that. The same with the loo downstairs - it has a very fine hairline crack in the base, no problem ie does not affect functionality in any way but if the crack should grow I don't want to be accused of having caused it. Likewise I have no wish to replace the loo. French rental laws are very protective of the tenant but also it is up to the tenant to maintain the decoration in a 'propre' state. Plus if you hang anything on the walls be prepared to make good or leave behind what you have hung - same with light fittings.

This might seem over fussy but it does seem to be the norm - around here anyway. Proprietors will vary, I am sure.

The lady behind us is leaving her rented house on 30 April (same landlord as us), so last Sunday she had the extensive terrace pressure cleaned - perhaps it was dirty, I don't know, ours is OK so we will just scrub it when we leave!

I found a lot of info on the net re renting (in English too), just downloaded them and printed off bits I thought were relevant.

Sue

• 1 month later...

Hi

just to add a bit to this.

Montpellier is unusual in having short term rentals. The 80,000 students arrive in September / October and you should reckon on being settled before then.

The coast also has short term deals available. I rented a furnished beach appartment in winter whilst looking for property to buy. I paid a monthly rent similar to the weekly summer rent.

Be prepared to provide evidence of income. I paid 3 months in advance because I had no relevant paperwork.

Peter