Finding an apartment in Paris

Lassie

Surely someone on this site must live in the Capital and have some good contacts with immobiliers?

I am having trouble finding good internet sites for Paris and would appreciate some local knowledge. We want to buy in the 6th,7th or 14th and have a good budget but there hardly seems to be anything on offer. We are in 34 and its not easy to house hunt at a distance. Funnily enough buying down here was easy with masses to see on the internet and some efficient sites. Many Paris agents dont even seem to have internet sites and some are incredibly slow and have no photographs. I must be doing something wrong. All help gratefully received.

• 1 year later...

Hi Lassie,

Me and my partner are in a similar situation - we are renting at the moment and waiting for the right time to buy - but buying in Paris may not be the most sensible thing right now. Prices have just gone up and up in recent years and there is growing evidence that they may come down again.

There was a link to a web site that someone posted on another board which shows the stats (number of properties for rent, number of properties for sale, etc.).

It's very hard to predict, but I think the falls in the UK are begining to start and I suspect falls in Paris may follow suit - therefore we made a decision to "wait and see".

The last thing we want is to buy something which then immediately falls in price.

-Rob-

• 7 months later...
Why not try www.beau-paris.com where you can bypass the rental company and deal directly with the owner. You'll end up with a much larger selection and better prices.

I booked a fabulous apartment from them during a recent stay. It was in the Latin Quarter and overlooked the streets and cafes and was only about 80 euros a night, we loved it!

• 3 months later...
Goodness.  This post has been hanging about a long time!  Not only did we soon find a good estate agent, then a good flat,bought it, then did it up, moved in, enjoyed 18 fantastic months living in the sixieme arrondissement and sold for a good price last November.Its a wonderful City. You need to learn the shorthand in small ads, but www.PAP.fr is an excellent source for private flat sales or try Foncia or Century 21 sites.  Being in the right arrondissement is they key thing; in my order of preference its 5,6,8,4,, some of 14.  Allow fron 6000 to 10000 euros per square metre.  Not for anyone still hooked on satellite telly and baked beans, but a full on experienece of living a la Francais.

• 1 year later...
We bought a 2plus bdrm apt in 7th - January 2006. We also rent it out for short term rental. I loved my Real Estate agent - in fact, I put a link to his office and web site on OUR web site. He went way above and beyond what an agent needs to do - he's great. go to web site www.OurParisHome.com and then go to the tab for "Buying in Paris" - all his contact info is there. Good luck! rk

• 1 month later...

I own an apartment in Paris near the Saint Martin canal, which I bought through on http://www.french-property.com, I'm not sure what your exact budget is but there are a lot of good properties going for between 100,000 - 200,000 euros.