Paris apartments

Winston

Hi

We are thinking about buying an apartment in Paris, which we can use ourselves and also rent out.  Has anyone any experience of property hunting in Paris?  Most forum users (including ourselves) seem to own rural properties, but there is not much info out there about Paris. 

Anyone know any good English speaking immobiliers in Paris (my French is passable, but I don't know if I would manage all the legal stuff!).  And what are the good districts to buy in, or even the bad districts (so we can avoid them?)

Any tips, advice or the benefits of personal experience would be much appreciated.

Winston.

My limited experience is through my colleagues and in leasing a furnished flat.  Observations:  Paris real estate is active; prices are maintaining or rising; there are corporations and business-minded groups of individuals buying properties as investment; the tenant protection laws operate to discourage leases of longer than 1-3 years and encourage short term, furnished leases; there is therefore some competition in the "furnished short-term market;" the professionals I work with seem to be selling their flats "by owner," (w/o any real estate agent); they advertise in Figaro or other major papers; they have open houses on Saturday; they say that if an agent comes with a client (you) the arrangement is that the client compensates the agent; some other things I cannot think of. 

All of that means to me from what you say about yourself is that you should be positive about the investment plan, take some time to know the market (if I said location was key I would be abused by other posters), network to find out what is for sale (25% of the people I work with seem to be buying and selling their flats) because you might get lucky (but of course you need to know the market to determine how lucky you are getting), and with your good french try to do it with a by-owner and a french lawyer after you have a verbal deal(representing you) and save yourself 5-7%.  Bonne chance.

Thanks for all that, it is helpful.  We have already started looking on the Figaro website, and I can't believe how small some of the apartments are (I think they use the term a bit optimistically!!)

I think we just have to get out there and start looking, but the main thing is to have a good look at a lot of different places and not rush into anything.

Winston

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

There are some good apartments for sale in Paris, I purchased my apartment in Paris through http://www.french-property.com which I rent out during the summer holiday period.
there is also a good guide on this site for purchasing a property in France  http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/.

I don't know what your budget is but I have just looked at their site and there are some excellent apartments for sale from 100,000-200,000 Euros.