1) We are catching the BF ferry from Ouistreham to Portsmouth at 9am on Sunday 6/6/04. Does anyone know of any Caen area travelling restrictions, due to be in place, which could make life difficult for us (due to 6 Juin commemoration)?

2) Are there any restrictions on transporting plants / fruit / veg to England from France by ferry?

Many thanks for any replies!

LAST EDITED ON 03-Jun-04 AT 04:07 PM (BST)

I've answered your second question in the gardening forum.

As for the first, you may not like my answer. I do know of restrictions, and that is, according to our local paper here in Normandy, vehicle access from 6am to 8pm to the whole area of the landing beaches is restricted only to 'officials and accredited persons' - all others will have to use public transport which is being laid on.

Caen itself is outside the zone, but Ouistreham is at the eastern end of the restricted area, and according to the map the town, and port, falls within this red zone. As vehicles for the ferry will obviously need to reach the port, this afternoon I called Brittany Ferries' press office to see what arrangements had been made. The answer was none - the press officer I spoke to was unaware of any restrictions, though he could confirm the ferries were sailing. In fact he said he was booked on to the service himself.

The press officer was sure that 'sense would prevail' and that anybody with ferry tickets should be allowed through by the gendarmes. I would suggest though that you allow plenty of time to reach the port, as even early on it is likely to be a slow journey. The Queen is at nearby Juno beach for the Canadian celebrations at 10am so there is likely to be a lot of security around Ouistreham.

It's a little worrying that usually, when I book online or by phone, I only have a booking reference and don't get an official travel document until I check in (and then often not until my return journey from Portsmouth). If you are in the same situation it will definitely be worth talking to the ferry company in advance.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

>
>
>2) Are there any restrictions on
>transporting plants / fruit /
>veg to England from France
>by ferry?
>
>Many thanks for any replies!

Yes there are, especially potatoes because of dangerous diseases and colorado beetle etc. Suggest you contact UK customs as they will just confiscate things and possibly fine you if they do stop you and you have items not allowed.