We've never bothered with the big booze outlets near the ports, normally buy our wine etc in our local area (Tarn & Garonne) to bring home as we are not yet resident in France.

In Asda this morning we bought a carton of bottles of real ale to share with a French friend and it occurred to me it might be cheaper in France! (Tho it was on special offer).

Does anyone know of any of these big booze supermarkets near Boulogne?

Are they any cheaper than LeClerc or whatever?  (and why don't French supermarkets sell dry Martini?

Maz

I dont think there are any big booze outlets near Boulogne, because until Speedjet started up there was no service from England.

There is a large Auchan at St Martin a Boulogne suburb.

Otherwise you need to go up the coast to Coqelles - the Eurotunnel terminus.  At Cite d'Europe there is a large Tescos wine store.  Further North still there is a good Sainsburys and lots of other independents round Calais.

I find the benefit of shopping "English" in P de C is that you know that generally what you buy is of the same quality as in the UK, albeit cheaper.  I suspect that some of the French booze shopping supermarkets like Carrefour at Cite d'Europe get some muck specially in for the British day shoppers. 

When we used to travel regularly to Boulogne by Hoverspeed (yes, well pre-Speedferries) we used to go to a wine warehouse near to the Cité Europe shopping centre, but lacking the crowds and the boozed-up oiks, just off the motorway on the Boulogne side of the tunnel. Although we didn't buy beer I remember that it usually had a good selection of English and European brands. I don't think it's any cheaper than the booze cruise outlets - in fact I doubt it, but shopping there was a far more pleasant experience. Having checked the web site it appears to still be there. http://www.franglais-wine.com/ Probably worth a look?

Our theory as to why french supermarkets don't sell dry Martini is that it is because they sell Noilly Prat. Although we have very occasionally seen dry Martini.

It is not the same and at first we didn't particularly like it, but we persevered, well we did have a bottle to get through. Now we quite like it.

My question is, why have they stopped selling 47 proof gin ?

Cheers