Does anyone know what really happened to scupper BMIbaby and their flights from Southampton?  There seemed to be two theories. That the airport weren't willing to upgrade passenger facilities and/or that BF put pressure on them.  If either are true, it seems to be a spectacular own goal as far as the Cotentin Peninsula is concerned.  What really happened?  I think we should be told.

But you can't beat a good conspiracy theory.  I thought there was interest in the service.  We met one flight in April and a good number of passengers got off and a good number got on.  I would have thought it would have been worth persevering for a while.  I don't fly normally but I would have given it a go. Certainly, I know people who wanted to use it and there was a fair amount of interest in this forum.

My understanding was that the first few flights were reasonably well subscribed, but looking at future bookings the route just didn't have anything like the degree of take-up that the operator's other routes enjoyed, so it wasn't worth making it a regular service.

FlyBE fly from Southampton to Rennes now, and have also started other routes to Brest (from Exeter, Southampton & Birmingham). Not that Brest is particularly convenient. I hope the Rennes route gets sufficient use because it's great for us!

I suppose with the fastcraft going to Cherbourg from Portsmouth there's not a great deal of time gain by flying from Southampton to Cherbourg and of course you also then have to hire a car and can't load up with lovely French goodies to take home.

Now other UK airports to Cherbourg, that's a different matter and considering that the cotentin, Manche in general and western Calvados are both at least an hour and a half to either Dinard or Beauvais, I would have thought that there could well be demand for flights into either Cherbourg, or better still (for us!) Carpiquet (Caen).