Card protection insurance

Mrs Trellis

As I am going on holiday to Greece, I walked along to CA to ask what were the limits on cash withdrawal.  Without discussion, they upped my limit to 3000 a day (450 per withdrawal) and 6500 for payments.  Way more than I need (barring disaster) or will have in the bank.

It was then pointed out that if I lose my card, I could lose a lot of money as I don't have card protection insurance. I said that was because they charged us for card protection for 5 years when we had no card.  (I'd thought it was a charge for having a foreigner's account but they'd just slipped it into the tiny print without mentioning it.)

If the card was lost, would we be liable for all fraudulent transactions?

Sorry, I can't really answer in respect of France, but within the last week or so it has been revealed that in the UK such insurance has been under investigation for being improperly sold by financial institutions. 

I suppose the question is whether or not France has similar consumer protection legislation in force. The premium income is a nice little earner.

Ha ha!  My feisty French friend came with me to the bank but we just got the brush off.  'I'm not going to diss  my colleague' - a dopey young fellow long since moved on.   I wrote to CA head office pointing out we had been charged for a card we did not want, did not need, had not asked for and which had not been mentioned when we opened the account.  After a month I received a letter telling me they had received mine, a few weeks later another ignoring all my points and with no apology.