there are two but i have only been to the one on the way to salperwick I think its the N43 well the road to St omer you come to a roundabout at St martin au lauert take the turning as if you are heading for conforama but stay on the road that goes behind the stores heading for salperwick its only a short drive and well signposted (see I am useless at directions ) the other one is on the N43 towards Calais I think its at Attacqes its right on the road so you cannot miss it on the left if you are heading towards Calais) recipe I can do.

you can tweek the herbs and spices and even smoke your bacon if you want and I have got the brining version as well but I find this easier.

cure mix

1 kg coarse sea salt

2teasps saltpetre (opt and I don't use easily obtained from ebay !!)

3 chopped bay leaves, (i add extra herbs here for diff flavours)

20 juniper berries slightly crushed

200g soft brown sugar

30grams ground black pepper mix all ingredients and put in jar.

in a plastic container put a slab of belly pork rub some of mixture well in you can do one or keep stacking them up just make sure the mix is all over the meat.each day pour off liquid and rub in more mix  after 5 days you can start having bacon cure for upto 10 days but it is salty . Well sluice the bacon down  wrap in cloth and hang in cool place but if you are just making one leave in fridge because it will be gone in moments!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is at Les Attaques, on the left going towards Calais.   There's a very good restaurant there too - Restaurant de la Gare.  Turn left at the traffic lights and it's on your right just after the station.   But it's closed for holiday at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Went last week to the Emmaus on the Salperwick road that Lesley recommends at the top of this page.  It's great! Open Tues-Sat 2.30-5pm.

And if anyone is into retro clothes and bed linen, it has a wonderful area upstairs that is open only on Wed and Sat.

Angela

• 1 month later...
did not realise until this week but we have emmaus in england as well I just typed in emmaus and up they all popped (saw a sign in dunkirk and was trying to find it) I have had some amazing bargains especially in the upstairs at salperwick (antique lace etc)

Just spent a very interesting Saturday afternoon at Emmaus near Bethune. They've got some good bargains there. I've been trying to find a second-hand cutlery basket for my dishwasher for ages and I found one. Instead of paying out £18 for a new basket they charged me one euro.

We have an Emmaus near Bedford. They do superb lunches and make the biggest, delicious pavlova I've ever seen!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to you all on this forum subject,

Lily and I (Jim) have recently purchased a house in Bouin Plumoison near to Hesdin.

We bought it for weekends and vacation with plan to move over when we retire in 6 years time, hopefully when we reach 60.

We are looking for contacts and hopefully make friends in and around the area, so if you want to meet up for Beers and Wine etc. contact us and see where it all goes.

Does anybody know of Fench Language teachers in the area.

Jim and Lily

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Does anyone know Lesley1952? I've been trying to get in touch with her to say that I'm going to France tomorrow (28 Nov) until Saturday and would like to arrange to meet up?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to check my email after this, but if anyone knows her, can they please ask her to get in touch with Jacquie. I know that she's in France at the moment, but the telephone number I've got keeps going through to her fax machine.

Hoping that someone can help. If th do know her please tell her that I've sent her a private message with my french telephone number.

Thanks,

Jacquie

[quote]Just spent a very interesting Saturday afternoon at Emmaus near Bethune. They've got some good bargains there. I've been trying to find a second-hand cutlery basket for my dishwasher for ages and I f...[/quote]

Hi Lene,

Can you give me directions to the Emmaus near Bethune?  Is it near Bruay la Buissiere?  I went up and down some long country road recently that I thought I would find it on, with no luck...

I went to the one in Albert (NE of Amiens) a couple of weeks ago; it's quite small compared to many; strong on books and small bric-a-brac.

Angela

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Angela,

Sorry for delay I've been in France and then had problems finding this thread.

Here's the directions for Emmaus at Bethune:

Come off the St Omer to Bethune motorway and follow the signs to

Bruay.  It's a bit confusing.  What you actually want is

Gosnay.  To help go to

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/mapPerformPage?strLocation=Gosnay&strCountry=eur&google=1

and this will bring up a map of the area. On the map you'll see a blue

circle over Gosnay.  This is where it's confusing. On the Bruay

road Gosnay is the first turning on the right after the roundabout, but

you can't read the signpost from that direction, so take the road and

check the signpost.  Follow the signs to Gosnay, once in the

village  the road bears left by the restaurant, and then right (I

think).  You'll go past some quite small terraced houses/bungalows

on the right and then I can't remember whether there's a junction or

not but the road goes to the left and the right (might be a

T-junction), and in front of you will be a small road which goes under

a bridge.  Take this road under the bridge. Emmaus is up there on

the left.  It's quite a way though so don't think you've passed it

and before it there looks like a deserted convent type building (quite

big). 

I hope you find it all right.  I've only been there a couple of times

and I got lost the first time I went.  If you head for Gosnay and

make sure you take the small road that goes under the bridge you should

be okay.  It's well worth a visit as its massive!  I'm not

sure on opening times during the week but on Saturday's they close for

lunch 12-2.  There are loos there and a coffee shop for which you

give whatever you think the coffee's worth.  (Personally I'd go

elsewhere for coffee!)  Leave plenty of time as there's loads to

see.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Jacquie  [:)]

Thanks Jacquie!  [:)]

I shall give that a go next time I am over.

Have just had a few days in Lille - what a lovely city.  I never saw any "junky" antiques shops in the centre though; just one or two posh ones.  I did visit the Wazemmes market on Sunday, but managed to miss the antiques stalls that are supposed to be there.  [:(]   Anybody know the name of the street they are to be found in?
I know about the braderie de Lille in September - but that's only once a year!  There must be some bargains to be found there at other times ...

Angela