How Many British Citizens have a residence in Normandy?

I would have thought a lot higher than that but how do they calculate - by just the person/couple buying a property or by the number in that family or by the number of tax returns involving the whole family the fisc recives each year? Take any sort of calaculations like this with a pinch of salt,there are always people "hiding" who don't want to be found or counted. Actually I would have though 60,000 more likely than 6,000!

I would have thought 6,000 was incredibly low when you consider there are supposed to be about quarter of a million throughout France and Normandy is one of the more densely Brit-populated areas.  About a year ago there was an article in our local paper saying that there were 20,000 Brits in Manche alone but I don't know whether that was permanent residents or second home owners and whether it was houses or actual people.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="St Amour"]I would have thought 6,000 was incredibly low when you consider there are supposed to be about quarter of a million throughout France and Normandy is one of the more densely Brit-populated areas.  About a year ago there was an article in our local paper saying that there were 20,000 Brits in Manche alone but I don't know whether that was permanent residents or second home owners and whether it was houses or actual people.[/quote]

sadly, there are now only 19,997 in Manche...