Apart from you must be mad if you do... We will be in Nantes this Wednesday and Thursday in a larger than average vehicle. We want to visit a couple of places in the city centre and the Musee Dobree to the SW. Can anyone suggest a good place to park a vehicle that is over 2.7 meters in height and 5.5 meters in lenght.

many thanks

It all depends where you are arriving from.  I go to Orvault and park in Leclerc's car park and take the tram.

Other teminuses are Neustre, Beaujoire, Sauton, St Herblain (Ikea!).

All take about 30 minutes to arrive at the centre and cost 2.10€ for two tickets of one hour. 

Orvault can be reached from the peripheric but when you leave the route, go down to the roundabout, over the tram line, turn right, go down to the next roundabout and right round.  You have to keep "messing about" because of the tram lines.  Don't take this entry into Leclerc.  Go right at the next roundabout - it is all within a couple of hundred yards - go down to the next roundabout, turn right, right again, then right into the parking in front of the petrol station and there is loads of room.  There is an 'official' car park but barriers.  Lots of folk use Leclerc.  Grand Val is what you look out for.

Ikea is alright but they have height barriers.

Phew!  Have a good time.  I love Nantes. 

ps.  don't know anything about the other side of the river but I know the terminus is Neustre as it is the other end of the Orvault line.

A big thank you to Alexis and Balanche for your sensible replies. I

like the idea of taking a tram. I have driven past Nantes on a couple

of occations but have never been into the centre before,  but from

the appoach roads I could see driving was not goinng to be much fun.

Thanks again

Just for the record, we had a great couple of days in Nantes. Our first

stop was the Musee Navel Maille Breze, we drove around the ring road to

exit 30 and followed the river into the centre of town. There was free

all day parking just outside the ship. The shops and sites were just a

short walk away.

Diana