Hi,

I have a friend who has a horse business in the south of england.  She telephoned me today to find out about buying hay over here in France.  I said, her best bet was to find the cheapest ferry crossing for a lorry (suggested LD ferries which she is looking into) and then sourced hay near to her destination.  So if she goes via LD  to Le Havre, she needs to find good small bale hay that she can pick up nearby.  I have NO idea about hay prices over there (I am in Brittany) so am looking for someone out there who might!  She needs small bales, suitable for horses, and she needs a good price on it to make it worthwhile coming over for.

Any ideas anyone?  Any phone numbers, any contacts?  Ideas gratefully received.

Thanks, Fil

The farmers in our neck of the woods (near Manche/Calvados border) have at best managed one fairly meagre cut of hay. Silage not much better.

Our neighbour was saying that he'll be having to buy feed in for his cattle this winter so certainly won't be selling any.

If that's typical then I expect the price wil be sky high.

Hi,

thanks.  That's pretty much what I thought, because, after all, how much hay can you get on a lorry?  Even at its cheapest price, it isn't going to be big profit is it?  And if the price zooms up, then probably a loss!  It cost us about £600 five years ago to get a horse lorry over here when we moved, so no doubt the price has gone up since then. 

Still, I've tried, which is what I said I would do for her.  Thanks again.

Fil