...and it's not just so Santa can visit us!

Some kind friends have given us a lovely Godin "poele a bois" but at present there's no chimney at our house to connect it to. (Our house is just north of Barneville-Carteret on the Cotentin peninsula).  Do forum members have any suggestions/recommendations of artisans for getting the work done?

Peter

Hi Peter

We've had a couple of lovely chimneys put in but I'm afraid we're not near enough to you for a recommendation to be any good - sorry - but what I did want to add was ... when you do find an artisan check to see if he replaces the roof tiles as part of the job.  You'd think he would (or we did!) but that was left for a roofer/tiler to do - not part of the builder's remit.  (Will also be less expensive if you have the stone available).

Just thought I'd mention it as otherwise it affects the budget, good luck!

peter

i will be interested to see how you get on, im in the same boat, but im going to buy a godin, and hopefully someones coming to have a look.

it seems that most in the road didnt have chimneys but have built one one rather than a metal flue

kim

The metal flues (we've got one) are certainly a cheaper option and work very well. However they're not that attractive - always reminds me of a fish and chip shop. Ours is OK as it's on a 'dead' wall so not much of a visual intrusion.

I bet when the wind gets up at BC your stove will fairly glow! Lovely little town imho.

We have just acquired a Godin too and we are going with just the metal flue as we don't have a chimney either and I'm assuming planning permission would be required to erect one, probably for the flue too but I've got more chance of getting away with that I think!