I know this is possibly a very delicate matter particularly if you actually wear one.
But I was wondering if it was something that may be effecting you in your area of France,?
There is a lot of talk over here in the UK, as to the reasons the French government has implicated this ban.
I will drop my 2 pence worth in, I am far from a prejudice person, but my personal view is when I go on holiday to say an Arab country, I and the wife have to follow very strict rules and regs as to dress and drink etc, certain foods are banned and we take this as a matter of fact because we are in there country.
Surly the same goes for us in Europe, if you want to come here you should obey our culture and rules?
Like I said Controversial or what.

Quite right.  Nothing controversial about that.  The figures/research/statistics show that in a country where there are some 6 million Muslims - France - very very low number of women adopt this dress and, apparently, Muslim "rules" do not state that wearing it is mandatory - it is a matter of choice.  Worryingly some of the protests involve women coming to France from other countries - including England - clearly to stir up trouble and make some point or other.  This is always going to happen whatever the so-called protest. 

My personal view is that I am uncomfortable in a situation where I cannot see the face of the person that I am trying to communicate with.  But if I was visiting a predominantly Muslim country then I would definitely respect that culture and not need to comment on the way that life was lived there.  Not happy with anyone going to live in another country and then making all sorts of demands so that their own needs took priority over those of the inhabitants.  Imagine moaning about stuff here in France and not expecting at least some of the French to eventually turn around and say "well, if you don't like it why don't you go back to England?"  Perfectly natural response I would think. 

Look at a  "preference", (religious or not) for wearing a burkha and apply it to, say, crash helmets and "hoodies" and see how quickly you would be turned out of banks, big stores or shopping malls.  If you want to wear a hoodie because you are a kid and you think it's cool and all your mates are doing it, you aren't necessarily up to no good -but don't expect your dress code to be respected  (on any grounds) by the security staff, whoever you are. We all want to see each other's faces, to see who we are dealing with and not to feel at a disadvantage in normal human interaction.  I'm all for people doing whatever they like in their own churches, mosques, homes etc., but there do need to be some rules left within society, which apply to public places and to which we are all willing to subscribe. Anyway, what about a real bid for integration and some use of the old  saying  "When in Rome?".....   

• 8 months later...