Would be grateful if anybody knows where I can find a good architect in the 87 region if they could post some details.

Its not a huge project like a barn but too big to tackle without plans i.e. renovating the wing of an existing house (actually wing sounds rather grand but its about 4/5 rooms altogether).  We are going to use local artisans to actually do the work (hopefully some time this century) but could do with somebody that speaks at least a little english when it comes to explaining what Id like to achieve.

Thanks in anticipation.

Carole (87)

Ours was actually in 16 near Ruffec, but will travel if you need him to, REASONABLE distances. He came to St Mathieu from ruffec, so work it out for yourself.

He was a good price, (€2000 against other quotes of €6000), turned up on time, did a good job and was a nice bloke.

Not much English though.

Alcazar

[quote]Would be grateful if anybody knows where I can find a good architect in the 87 region if they could post some details. Its not a huge project like a barn but too big to tackle without plans i.e. reno...[/quote]

Hi Caz

We used an excellent architect from near Bellac in 87 he was very efficient and got our plans drawn and passed by the consul general in about 3 months from start to finish. He doesnt speak english though, but I dont speak much French yet! Even with this difficulty we still managed to get exactly what we wanted, he does seem to understand your basic ideas very well. He wasnt expensive or cheap about right for the work required. I am at the office at the moment but when I get home i will dig out his details and send them to you probably tomorrow now.

Regards

Phil

Details of ours as shown: funnily enough, he rang me today, which reminded me of his name, which is STILL not listed under architects, or I would have recognised it.

Bacquet Patrick architectures
21 r République 16700 RUFFEC    05 45 31 05 26
fax : 05 45 30 35 61

Alcazar

Phil

Would appreciate it if you can let me have the details of your architect near Bellac so that I can have a choice (and its not very often you are privileged enough to have a choice of who you pick in France, more often its a case of begging!)

I know we have exchanged details in the past as your place must be close to ours.  Have sent a message to your inbox if you are around at any of the same times as us and fancy a chat about rural life and renovations en France.

Hi Carole

Did you get the name of an architect near Bellac?  We have a property just north of Bellac and we need to find an architect who would be prepared to sign off our plans (our property is just over the 170 sq m limit unfortunately!). Our application has been ongoing for just over twelve months and we are nearly there - we think.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

We also need to contact a surveyor to measure up a small strip of land that we have permission to purchase from our commune.  Again any leads would be much appreciated.

You may have trouble finding an architect to sign off your plans - ours spent a lot of time ensuring that I understood this. And by the time he has properly checked out your drawings it would cost as much as if he started from scratch.

Is there any way you can get yr floor area down below 170m2 ? That way you can DIY 

John

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]You may have trouble finding an architect to sign off your plans - ours spent a lot of time ensuring that I understood this. And by the time he has properly checked out your drawings it would cost as ...[/quote]

Thanks for the tip - we  may have to wait until our next trip to the cottage to re-measure. We have received details of another architect in the area but will investigate further before passing on details. Will keep the forum posted on any further developments.

Gail and Steve