holiday house in limousin

My husband and I are in the process of buying a holiday house close to Crozant.  Is there anyone there who can tell me abit about this area (I have done alot of reading, but not spoken to anyone who actually lives/regularly holidays there). We are visiting it for the first time in april, then have to return to France in June for the final signing (we are from New Zealand).  I had some woman tell me I was buying into an industrial area - please tell me this is not true - all our information tells us it is very rural and where we will be is private but not isolated.  We are 2 mins drive from Crozant, 15 mins drive from Dun le Palestel, and 15 mins drive from the A20.  Any information on the general area, climate, best markets etc would be very welcome.  Also, the house we are buying is a "chalet", not a stone house.  Are there many chalets in this area?  Have not seen any others advertised for sale.  Thankyou, look forward to any replies,

Anita Haultain

Hi Josh, thanks for your reply (i think i just sent you one, but maybe i have done it wrong).  glad to hear it is rural - i was sure our information was all correct, but this woman who lives in st junien was oh so sure it was all industrial!!!  any further info on the area would be greatly appreciated - thanks,

anita haultain

Buying a house unseen, in an unknown area, on the opposite side of the World?

You should certainly get 10/10 for guts!

Luckily, I think you've done okay if it's French rural living you're after; in fact this part of France is about as rural as it gets.

We have a holiday home at Bussiere-Dunoise nearby. We nearly always spot wild deer in the countryside when we drive over to Dun le Palestel. (local market on Thursday mornings)

Here's a web-site for starters.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mairiedecrevant//sites/creuse/creuse.htm 

hi to everyone who replied to my question. thankyou, really appreciate any and all information about this area.  its a long way from nz to france, but we loooooooooooove france.  hopefully in time we will be able to increase the amount of time we can spend there.  who knows?  we may even live permanently one day. buying a house site unseen seems like utter madness i know, but the people we are dealing with are extremely helpful and very genuine.  cannot wait to see it in person (will be there april).  thanks again, anything else please don't hesitate to let us know!!

anita

Hi  small world isn't it? we have a house about 5 mins from Crozant and we will also be there in April. We live in England, but our daughter lives in NZ and is coming home for 2 weeks holiday and will be coming with us to France for a week or so! Haven't seen her for a whole year so we are really looking forward to it. She loves our French house so much, she insisted on spending a good part of her holiday there. Hope this puts your mind at rest about the area - it's wonderful, but don't tell anyone - it's a secret!

I don't know which side of the gorge you are - we are on the Indre side, just up the hill past the Hotel Du Lac - if you want a wonderful meal that's the place to go (book for the weekends though, I usually go in and ask - my French isn't quite up to telephoning and they are very nice) Or you could go to the lake (Lac de Chambon) for lunch, superb! or the auberge in Crozant - the choice is endless. Hope it all comes up to your expectations!

Carole

hi carole, thanks for your reply!  it certainly is a small world!!!!  i am embarrassed to say that since i have yet to see the property (apart from on video) i dont know what side of the gorge we are on, but it all sounds wonderful and my mind is coompletely at rest.  i will definitely try some of those restaurants you recommended - thanks again - anita haultain

p.s. we live 30 mins north of auckland in new zealand. wouldn't it be funny if your daughter lived close to us!

Hi Anita

My daughter  lives in Wellington, but as I write she is actually at Auckland airport leaving for the uk! She will be in France with us from the 14th - 21st April and she seemed quite interested in your purchase. If you were interested, perhaps could meet up if our dates match. We are on the phone in France so if you reply to this, we will email you our number.

regards Carole

• 4 weeks later...
hi carole - sorry its taken me so long to reply - unfortunately i was in crozant on those dates - can you believe it?  just returned to nz today, it would have been nice to meet up with you.  crozant was lovely - our place (to be) is about 4 mins from the township and very cute.  will be returning in 12 weeks to sign the final act de vente. the countryside is so picturesque, cant wait to see it again.  let me know if you are there end of july!!  thanks, anita

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anita

sorry I haven't replied before, been busy at work. We will indeed be there at the end of August - 23rd to be precise. I will be there for 6 weeks, my husband only for a week or two at the beginning and end. We would be interested to meet you, but I think we need to send a private email to give address details etc. so I will try to do this.

hope to see you in the near future, Carole