Tax return 2014 - declaring UK Rental income

JohnP

I've just submitted my tax return online for this year, and I have entered UK income from rental property on the 2047 Section VI and carried the figure forward to 2042 box 8TK, which I had been advised was the correct procedure.

However, the local tax office (Oloron-Ste-Marie, 64) insist that I fill in a 2044 (Revenus Fonciers) online. If I do this, I think that I will get taxed twice on the income in France, because the 2044 will automatically carry forward the income to box 4BA on the 2042 as if it were French rental income. I have no problem with providing the information to the tax people, but obviously don't want to get taxed twice (actually three times, if I include my UK tax return of this income).

Can anyone advise me how to proceed with this? Thanks.

I would go and see them. Take all your documents with you, handwritten workings-out etc.

Apparently many tax offices aren't sure how to deal with UK rental income.

We have UK rental income, but fill in forms, not online. One year I had a disagreement with the lady at the office - she insisted that the rents are taxable in France. Eventually she got out the book of words and found that she was wrong.

Apparently you can't fill in the 2044 online as it won't allow you to enter a foreign address therefore my tax office sent me a 2044 to complete (I have clearly marked the UK address of the properties). I do have an accountant who keeps an eye on this so we will check to make sure it's not attracting a second tax.

Hi, I am a French resident, have UK rental income and use a French accountant. I have never needed to submit a form 2044, just the 2047 and 2042, so not sure where your local inspector is coming from. My biggest problem was that last year social charges were levied on the UK rental income, which required an appeal before they were removed. I'd watch out for that when you get your Avis d'Imposition.

Hello Nectarine, yes, you can fill in the 2044 online. It's just that it won't accept UK postcodes in the postcode field. What I did was to put any address details into the address text field and then put 99000 in the postcode field (99 = overseas) - the form seems happy with that.

Hi, thanks for all your comments. After exchanging emails with the tax office, I've completed the 2044 online and submitted it. The numbers are also on the 2047.

I checked my avis d'impot from last year, when I had the same issue but with the paper forms (it was my first french tax year), but I see that they calculated the tax correctly - the rental income was included in my gross income, but was exactly matched by tax and CSG credits so there was no net effect, other than to raise the gross income for tax rate calculation purposes which I understand to be the process agreed in the UK-France double tax treaty.

Anyway, the tax office seem happy for now (fingers crossed!) and I'm going to check my avis d'impot carefully when it arrives.

Santé!