Gas central heating

JandM

We have a 1000kg propane gas tank buried in the garden which supplies the CH boiler. It was installed for 'free' some eight years ago, but with very hefty annual maintenance charges.

We've just ordered a tankful of gas (about €1000 worth) on a tariff that we think is pretty high owing to the terms of the original installation. We'd like to see if next time we can shop around and get a better deal from a different supplier. The original paperwork isn't clear on whether or not we can use another supplier after the initial tie-in period while Totalgaz got its return on the supposedly free installation.

Does anyone have any information or experience in this area? What is the usual practice in France?

Cheers

James

We have a tank provided by Antargaz, and the price of gas has increased a lot since we got it. We spend a fortune on gas.

I think you'll find that your tank belongs to Totalgaz and you're limited as to what you can do with it.

You should have a printed contract which will cover all the regs.

My guess is that if you want to change to another supplier you'll have to have their tank installed first, and I've heard that getting the old supplier to remove their tank is very difficult.

Thanks for the response, Patf. You've said what I've suspected. We're really locked in with Totalgaz - as the idea of installing a new tank is a non starter.

We've always known that the costs of LPG are high, but it's useful for a second home as you can get the heating on immediately on arriving which is pretty useful in winter. I think that we'll look into an efficient log burner for general heating, so that the we use gas only for initially getting warm. That might make one tankful last years. Which would be nice.

One tankful might indeed last years but do make sure that there is not the requirement for the tank to be checked annually!

I was interested in a house with gas central heating and I seem to remember that the owner said that you didn't ever own the tank and that it had to be annually inspected.

I didn't buy that house (no, not because of the gas!!!) but I thought I'd bring that point up so that others more knowledgeable can chip in and provide you with a better and more informed answer than mine.

Sometimes, I just post a thought in order to get others to come on here and provide an answer to questions that the OP might not have thought of![:D]

Propane  gas is very efficient in heating your house, providing endless hot water, and fuelling your cooker.

But it's expensive.

I don't know for sure but I would think all the various companies draw you in with what sounds like a good offer, and then gradually increase their prices to the average market value.

Good advice Mint. Our tank is checked annually at €170 a pop. I've never actually been present when the check has taken place, but as the tank is buried underground the procedure can only be through using an electronic gauge of some sort. I imagine it takes about 45 seconds, if that. That's France for you..

What about changing to oil? Depending on your boiler an oil burner is not that expensive. Yes, you need to buy a tank and have it installed but from then on you can choose your supplier and there are no annual maintenance charges.