French News in English

Apologies if this has already been posted. I don't have any affiliation with this site, I just thought it was a useful place to read about things happening in France while my French language standard isn't up to reading French papers. Perhaps a few of you might also find it useful too.

http://www.french-news.com/

There is an associated monthly newspaper by the same name.

My first post here - hope it was at least a 5/10 for effort

[quote]Apologies if this has already been posted. I don't have any affiliation with this site, I just thought it was a useful place to read about things happening in France while my French language standard...[/quote]

Hi Amygdala and welcome to the forum.

The site you posted has been mentioned here before but this Forum has had more than a few shakeups in the past and it good that you have re-posted the link as the forum search facility is not too clever   I'm sure others will find also find it useful. Compared to many posts lately I'll give you an 8/10 for that one

Kind regards,

Punch

Phew, 8/10! The only problem now is the standard I have to maintain lol

I remember the old forum (I never registered for it though). We've only just got here actually, and now I'm online I thought I'd check out LF forum and found this new whizzy one. It looks like a great place to find out all the things we need to know.

Big day tomorrow, our son (just 4) is having his first half day in school. He'll most likely spend it saying, "why are you saying that!?" and "WHAT?"

Hi,

Good luck tomorrow with your son's big day!!  Daunting isn't it?

We only arrived here (northern Dordogne) at the end of July.  We have a 3 year old - 4 in November, and a 5 year old - 6 in december.  We absolutely dreaded their first day.  It was hard to begin with.  We had lots of tears (me and them!!).  But, 5 weeks down the line, and they are very very settled.  The school has been absolutely excellent, and couldn't have done more for us.  They are beginning to say quite a few french words and songs, which is lovely to hear.

We put both of ours into the school for a full day, with lunch too, right from the start.  I was very reluctant to - the school thought it would be best for them.  Looking back, I'm really glad we did that.  I am certain it helped them settle in quicker, and it meant we only had "one" thing to get used to, rather than getting them settled for the morning, then adding lunch, then adding the afternoon etc.  But, all kids are very different, that was just best for ours.

Anyway, lots of luck, and please let us now how he gets on.

Liz

Hi Liz

Yes, just got back from dropping him off and I must say that I was a little choked, but his first request was to colour (so I think they understood him!).

It was their suggestion to start 9-12. We're just going with that. I think I would have done the full day for the reasons you say, but I figured it was best to go with what they said - after all, they're the ones having to look after the little monkey

Slippers, we need to buy some slippers!

Sorry, not ignoring you, just haven't had a chance to get back on here since last time.

Yes, he's now had two half days and seems to be liking it. In fact we can't wait for him to start going full time now as he's got a lot of energy left to channel in the afternoon!

We're currently renting near Cognac, but looking around Saintes to buy.

Next, getting our 1 year old into child-care, and then we'll have some time to get some French lessons in