Tax return advice in Paris

EM

Could anyone recommend a good English-speaking accountant in Paris for preparing my first French tax return? I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything.

I rang a few that came up in a Google search and they generally want to give me the full "business" service of preparing accounts, etc. for over €1000, which I don't need. I basically just need to figure out how to classify my income for French tax purposes. My situation is simple, but unusual.

[quote user="andyh4"]I would second using the tax office. Despite many preconceptions, I have found them extremely helpful. English speaking however may be a problem - maybe even in Paris.[/quote]

Thanks, it's good to know they're helpful. Nevertheless, I'd really prefer advice from someone working for me. Also, my French is sadly not good enough to explain the situation - let alone understand their response!

Why don't you just go along now before the forms are out, with all your paperwork and see what they say anyway. Otherwise, if you don't want to do that, cannot see an alternative but get an accountant then.

Personally even when my french was absolute rubbish, I would humbly ask for help, a pleasant and hopeful smile, apologising for my lousy french, usually worked for me.

Hi, if you're email savvy you don't need someone physically in Paris. I live in Rhône-Alpes but my accountant is in Caen on the North coast. She is English and is called Angela Francoise, we just ping things back and forward by email, much easier. If you google talenz international you'll find her, but I'm sure others on the forum will have recommendations.

[quote user="EM"]

EM wrote:

[quote user="andyh4"]

Andyh4 wrote:

I would second using the tax office. Despite many preconceptions, I have found them extremely helpful. English speaking however may be a problem - maybe even in Paris.

[/quote]

EM replied

Thanks, it's good to know they're helpful. Nevertheless, I'd really prefer advice from someone working for me. Also, my French is sadly not good enough to explain the situation - let alone understand their response!

[/quote]

EM read again my comment about pre-conceptions. I have had the "benefit" of presenting my own not so straightforward (income in 2 countries neither of which was France and tax declarations files in 3 countries) tax declarations. The first couple of time I had to do this on my own with the help of the lady at the tax office. A change of circumstance meant that my company decided to provide (expensive) tax advice and complete the forms on my behalf. Where the entries where common to the past situation, there was no difference between the tax advisor and the tax office.

The reality is that once you have taken a particular financial path, there is limited flexibility in the way to present the results to the tax office **. The trick (which a financial advisor may help with ) is how to arrange your affairs and the financial path.

** The one major exception is that you can declare some income at a flat 7.5% tax rather than add it to your income (with tax relief at certain levels). A simple spread sheet will tell you which way to go.