The last cut

nomoss

That brings back memories, though it was in Czech.....
They do damage crops though. We once found a baby one in our chicken run. The chasse had been out the previous day and killed a mother  - her babies ran all over the commune.
So we were told by our neighbour who took the cute little marcassin and kept it in his barn until it was big enough for meat.
This was 'illegal' evidently. We were warned not to tell anyone.

[quote user="Patf"]
That brings back memories, though it was in Czech.....
They do damage crops though. We once found a baby one in our chicken run. The chasse had been out the previous day and killed a mother  - her babies ran all over the commune.
So we were told by our neighbour who took the cute little marcassin and kept it in his barn until it was big enough for meat.
This was 'illegal' evidently. We were warned not to tell anyone.

[/quote]

I picked up a young partridge which was wandering drunkenly in the road, presumably having been hit by a car, or recently released after being bred for shooting.

I took it home, and asked a neighbour if she could keep it in her unused chicken run until it recovered, but she went into a mild panic, saying it was illegal to keep animals which are hunted, and proceeded to strangle it by stretching its neck in a very odd way, which she said her father had taught her.
We plucked and roasted it, but such a small bird was hardly worth the trouble.
I still wonder if it is really illegal?