Touring in Spain

David

Many thanks Gary,

If it is not asking too much, can you give further advice?

Such as, how do you go about looking for an hotel each evening - do you go to the tourist office, or just cruise around?  What sort of prices are available?

I looked up Jacarilla and it seems great for a stop off.  We had thought about Cartagena, but part of the trip is to consider the possibility of buying a holiday home, or permanent home, to get away from the bad winter weather in North Deux-Sevres.

We had thought about going to Perpignan, and then driving down the coast.  Can you say how long would it be from Perpignan, or alternatively as you are in the Vienne, what route would you recommend and how long would it take from Vienne?

I am very hesitant about just setting off, as I am on crutches for short distances, or a wheelchair, and I cannot afford to find myself without a handicapped friendly room - i.e. in particular no stairs to the room in the hotel.  Also we have never toured in Spain before.

Many thanks,

David

We use different routes depending on the weather (snow in Andorra etc). This year we will run down to the border south of Bayonne, cross near San Sebastian, on to Pamploma, Zaragoza then head for the coast and follow it down.

Zaragoza will probably be our first overnight and its full of hotels. (just look for their illuminated signs).

Valentia will do for a second stop and the same applies regarding hotels.

Another route, but longer is to traverse across france, past Carcassonne to Narbonne, then head south. That way you miss the snow and get to visit Barcelona (terrific city). Park outside and catch the train or bus in, the traffic is, err, interesting.

Door to door for us it's about 1,200 kilometres. I've done it in one hit once, but it nearly killed me and you miss all the sites and stuff.

Touring Spain is great, just don't stop in quiet rest areas, even in the daytime. Always stop for coffee etc, in the busy places.

Like France, stick religiously to speed limits in towns and villages. If you think the gendarmes here aren't friendly, wait till you meet the garda..[:)]

Remember in Spain you need 2 (two) warning triangles and spare glasses, if you wear them for driving.

Gary.