typical !!!!

valB

One of our grandsons' is at music college and hopes to eventually join the Roayal Marine Bands,  so to enable him to have some money in his pocket he works all hours when not at college for a large supermarket stacking shelves. I have just found out that a relatives son who hardly ever went to school and left with hardly any GCSEs and cannot find employment is now on a three month course for no hopers and he gets £50 per week for the privilage and his parents have had the child benefit reinstated. He is seventeen years of age, the same age as our grandson, and it must be so demoralizing for kids who work hard at school and college to hear of the country giving cash to those who are not interested in a  future of any kind. 

Hi Val, I sort of understand how you feel but if this son of a relative did not achieve any CGSE's, then he will no doubt not get a job when he is up against boys like your grandson who, I bet is a credit to you. 

Therefore, what should the state do with him, give him dole, ignore him, or sign him up for further training?

True, some kids are not interested in a future of any kind, but many are, they just have not been given the correct guidance of how to get their foot on the ladder.  I hope the course works for him and encourages him to become a fine young man with vision, just like your grandson.

Id like to  see any one on the dole under 30 years of age taken off to join the army for a year, then given the choice to stay in find a job or be forced to do another year . we could remove all the yobs off the streets in one swift move , like to see how many under 30,s still wanrt to move here from other countries !![Www] 

Val we have a few students who work in our tesco's they are all loverly hard working lads with a bit of something about them . Its a good way for young lads to learn a few facts about money managment and to realise that things just dont fall into your lap , you have to work for it. be pleased his experiecne at the work place will be a lesson he will carry through the rest of his life. and make him a more rounded responsible adult. I hope he does well and gets where he wants to in life [:)]   

[quote user="valB"]I agree totally that he should receive additional training. My point is why should he be paid to do it when  students have to stack shelves to get cash.[/quote]

Yes, I know what you are saying Val and, on one hand it could teach them their first lessons in becoming a social security scrounger but on the other hand, if they were not paid, what incentive would they have to turn up when they could make money using their spare time dealing or whatever?

You know that that is the way life is.  As I said, you have a fine young man for a grandson, let's hope this course works for the other kid.

Yes Pads

I agree with you on National Service as the armed forces are desperately short now of recruits and a lot are leaving the services. I know this is correct as my youngest son is a Royal Marine Commando. Going back to the student issue, two of my grandaughtrs are studying as well, one is doing a degree and works three full days a week to try to keep her loans down and the other one is at college and works in a cafe when she is not stidying  so why should  this relatives son not do the same and get a job when he is not at the course. Surely, just handing out cash is not the way to make kids realize that one has to work for what we get. He could so easily think...wow, this is good, I do not have to work as I will get cash anyway.