"The Baltic Effect "

Frederick

I was talking to a guy today with a son who is a London based plumber / heating engineer  ...he is worried about his sons future with family mortgage etc as when once he could expect 6 months work on his book he now only has 6 weeks work  booked ahead ...He is angry as his estimates are being ignored and people are turning more and more to having cheaper jobs done by our  visitors from the Baltic.... I didnt ask if the holiday to Bermuda this year would have to be cancelled !

Thats just what I thought   Renaud ....but its the new house builds estimates that he is not getting accepted now for fitting the central heating systems ....the firms planning and building the houses are using Baltic plumbers now ...

Amazing how they know UK regs and get Corgi registered so quick. I wonder how long the guarantee lasts? Mind you,  our plumber mamaged to have at least one leak per job,"Must be a faulty part/joint/valve". One on renovation job in Bournemouth I thought I'd try to get another plumber on board our team and phoned 6 for quotes on a complete re-plumb. 2 bathrooms/kitchen/central heating and drainage.Clean site and ready to go. 4 didn't ever turn up,one said it wasn't the sort of plumbing he did and one quoted £4000.oo more than our regular chap. If I return to earth I shall train as a plumber or perhaps a telephone engineer,the tool box is smaller.

Regards.

We had a girl who spoke Polish living with us whilst next door was renovated by a Polish team. She overheard several conversations like:

'Where does this go?"

'Dunno, stick it anywhere, they will never know'

Eventually they got fired and another company repaired their work.

Frederick, your friend's son needs to ask the main contractors what are the going rates, then decide if he wants to match them. If not there seems still to be a huge demand for plumbers hired directly by householders.