France bans burka, now do it in England

Marym2

I have always believed in tolerance and making an effort to 'fit in'. I do think these things are a two way thing. You may find it interesting to Google on Dress code in XXXX where you might substitute XXXX for a country such as Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia etc. I thought I might just copy over a few things I found.

Most of the informed websites seem to agree that men should not wear shorts. Women should wear dress's that go down to their calves but jeans and leggings are acceptable in more liberal countries. Arms should be covered down to the elbows and you should wear a scarf of your head. Some countries are a little more 'forgiving' than others on items such as head scarfs but strict rules are employed when visiting religious sites.

Attitude to other religions.

Saudi Arabia (Source http://ukinsaudiarabia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-saudi-arabia/ )

"Saudi Arabia is an exclusively Islamic (Muslim) kingdom and Islam governs nearly every aspect of life.  The public practice of any form of religion other than Islam is prohibited in Saudi Arabia.  Severe punishment (imprisonment and deportation) can result should such activities come to the attention of the authorities.  The authorities also stamp firmly on attempts at proselytisation or conversion of Muslims to Christianity.  (However, non-Muslims are free to worship in their own homes).  Entry to Mecca and Medina (the two holiest cities of Islam) is strictly forbidden to all non-Muslims though access to the outskirts of Medina (e.g. the Sheraton Hotel) is allowed."

From what I can see the same rules apply for other Muslim states in the middle east.

Therefore, based on the above I think that if any country in Europe (or the 'West') decides to pass dress code laws then there is no room for complaint by others. What does upset me is the thought that should the covering of your head become illegal my days of using a balaclava or my wife's tights to rob banks would be over. [;-)]

Seriously though, the proposed law, as I read it, so as not to be directly racist (which would be against EU law and most member state laws) involves the ban on covering ones face in public. So I guess 'hoodies' would be illegal as would balaclavas and of course it raises the question on full face crash helmets for motorcyclists. I am sure there are other things I, or you, could think of. Therefore basically I think it would be unworkable in the real world and anyway who gives a toss, other than those who have nothing better to do. If a person who covers their head offends you then simply look the other way or cross the street.

But then the other side of the argument is that there are laws on your dress code in other countries and therefore if they have them why can't we and why can't you say that covering your head is illegal. The only logical reason I can think of however is security what with all the security cameras in the UK there is a necessity to be able to identify people and by far the best way is to look at their face.

So I ask myself this question "Do women covering their heads upset me" and rack my brains as much as I can I find it does not, in fact I am totally not bothered and I certainly don't see it as my nationality, way of life etc being erroded away. Life is far to short to worry about these sort of things, theres far more important things to worry about like when to I plant my beans in the garden or who's going to win the Six Nations this year. Actually to be honest wearing head covering draws attention more than anything. There were loads of women wearing them in South Kensington when I worked there and it always made you wonder what beauty or ugliness lay beneath. Lets be honest there are loads of men and women out there that would benefit from wearing a paper bag over their head. [:D]

Getting back to the original subject.

As I see it the problem with the burka is that it excludes the wearer from ordinary society. When I came to live in this village eight years ago I smiled at people as I went about my business and they smiled back at me. Eventually I got to know some of them quite well. The same thing happened in the next village where the shops are. I now know lots of people by sight and pass the time of day with them. Exactly the same thing has happened in my little area of France. I would not have been able to do this if I had been wearing a burka. Wearing one seems to me like a statement which says that the wearer does not want to join in the indigenous society and this is why people find it offensive.

I’m still not sure that I would ban it though.

Hoddy

I have no problem taking my helmet off when I am entering a bank or for that matter anywhere that is deemed unsafe to the occupants of a petrol station etc. I hardly take it off elsewhere when I am riding but stopped,unless its for a period of time cup of tea chat eating drinking etc. Why are these people excempt? what is it that the people in charge are scared of?  I wonder when this will change things, will it be when they blow someone/something up? because the way it its going that will be one of their next steps. Like these so called honour killings, how many poor young girls will be killed, or raped and killed like one was not that long ago. Look at the latest horrible thing that has happened http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7015758.ece  yes not in England but there are people out there that are doing these things. Burka = prison for women.

And this country wants to join the EU!