Help with printing - no longer needed

Kitty

The connection between my computer and my printer is not happy.  It went on strike after I asked it to print an email, it spewed out 13 blank pages twice and I cancelled it.

I have tried everything that I can think of.  All the leads are connected properly.  I've clicked on everything on the Control Panel so that it is chosen printer, it is online, it is no longer paused (which was an earlier problem) etc.  I have restarted the computer.

When I send a document to print, the status is idle.  Is that the problem ?  If so, how do I correct it?

Any ideas gratefully received.

EDIT: All's well now, thanks to you.  Merci.

Is the printer shared with another computer or is it a wireless printer?

This is a classic problem, there are loads of fixes on the Internet for it. Basically you don't have to remove the HP software just go in to the Control Panel and then Printers, delete the existing printer the click on Add Printer (if it is a wireless printer you need to click on Add a Wireless or Bluetooth Printer in stead of Local Printer). It should pick up the old driver automatically, if it still does not work then remove the HP software, download the latest version from the HP website, delete the printer again and install the new software.

I did as you said.  I deleted all my printers from my computer, including not only the 'Printers' section but also the 'Programs and Features' section on the Control Panel.

I then reloading the drivers from the HP UK Help and Support website.  Here is the link:  http://welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/support.html

I am back in business - it's such a relief.  Thank you for your help.

Just one thing about removing the printer software with most HP printers. You shouldn't do this via the control panel, if you look under HP under Start Button - All Programs you will find there is an Unistall program, you should use this. Even then it may not remove everything which may result in the printer installation program not installing correctly. If you look around the HP Support section you should find a 'removal' (its actually named 'Scrubber') tool for your specific printer and operating system which is a zip file containing some small programs and follow the instructions after unzipping the file.

Anyway glad your up and running.