Renewing Passport & Driving Licence!

Miranda

I don't know if anyone can advise me on this as I've recently got married and would really like to find out what the situation is regards to renewing my driving licence & passport - do I need to apply for a french licence for instance if now living in France?

Very grateful for any help...

Miranda

A timely question. We have, this morning, received my husband's new passport back from the British Embassy. If you now live in France you have to get it renewed at the British Embassy in Paris. If you go to the British Embassy website you can download the relevant form. You will need to send it off with the original of your marriage certificate, certified photos and a cheque. If you can't find a British citizen entitled to certify the photos you can ask your local Maire to do it. It's all very simple and has taken less than two weeks for us to get my husband's passport renewed.

As for the driving licence, you can get the relevant form from your Prefecture and should be able to get a French driving licence while you wait (about an hour or so). You will have to hand over your UK driving licence at the same time. As you will be changing your name you will probably also need your original marriage certificate, so don't send it off to Paris if you want to get the driving licence at the same time!!!
Coco

I visited the sous-prefecture recently to change my driving licence and was told not to bother. They said my Uk one was fine and it was more hassle and work for both me and them to change it. There is no legal requirement to have a French licence.

I think you've got most of the answers already but one tip - if you do have to send off by post DON'T FORGET the Stamped Addressed Envelope. The Embassy makes it clear what value of stamps you need and for the Driving Licence 50 centimes should be sufficient. I have a theory that every French Government Office is stuffed full of applications for one item or another which has not been accompanied by a SAE and there are numerous civil servants employed to rip these up from time to time. Dealings with French Officialdom makes you cynical

I would also send by registered post with receipt even if not asked to do so.

Liz (29)