Gendarmes entereing property

Washy

Can gendarmes just drive onto your property??? I am asking on behalf of some american friends who seem to be getting a certain amount of what can only be called harassment from the local gendarmes. Mostly regarding vehicles, they have three which are all legal. He has been stopped several times last month and on Saturday 1st May and asked for his documents. On saturday, after he had been stopped once and was away from his home, the gendarmes drove straight onto his property, past the gates and 'private' notices etc. When his wife, who is a fluent french speaker, came out they just drove off without saying a word. Our friend, who speaks a little french, went to the Gendarmerie to ask why they had stopped and one would only say "I do not speak english", in perfect english, otherwise they would not answer him, I think they were surprised he "dared" to go there? Anyway he asked why again and they said they would be calling on him on Monday but would not say why.

Can 'they' do this? Can gendarmes drive straight onto one's property??

I think they can do what they want as most folk are quite in awe of them in my experience. I would suggest to your friend that he keep calm, answer any questions and don't antagonise them and let them go where they want. Someone may have informed them through jealousy or something that your friends are breaking the law or something. They have quite a reputation for hauling you off to jail first and then asking questions 24hrs later as is what happened to the son of a friend last year who didn't do a damm thing wrong.

Interesting that your friends are American because in America the police must have a warrant to enter premises without 'due cause' and a general investigation isn't due cause there. And the fact that the police drove onto their property means nothing, in the uk most people would be glad to see a policeman, even if they were just turning their cars round on their property.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but so what if gendarmes drove into their property, the French have different rules about such things than they do in the US?

If your friends are involved in some sort of a dispute with the previous owners, go see a notaire/lawyer and get it sorted out.

And the first rule is don't upset the gendarmerie, they can make your life a lot more difficult than your friends can theirs and the second rule is go to see them at their barracks/station, ask to see the most senior officer (make an appointment, don't just turn up) there and tell him what's happening, preferably accompanied by their lawyer, but in a non-confrontational way.

They may be really hacked off about the whole situation but they must remember that they're the newcomers, they're not French nationals and if they're in a rural part of France, they have to live in the community which may (for whatever misguided reason) have some sympathy with the other side.

But whatever they do, don't upset the gendarmes.

Tony Fuller