Probate

Thedunnes

Not dipped into this forum before so hope this is not a FAQ.

Friend has a french PO account belonging to her late father and a french cheque made out to him that she needs to deal with.

Where do you start dealing with probate in France fro a non resident.  She will be visiting over the New Year and so I could try and get things signed then if I know where to start.

Stephen

With the french notaire that dealt with the father's property in France when he died. They are responsible for all bank dealings and affairs concerning the deceased where there is property /residence in France and in the UK, his own solicitor there will deal with english bank accounts. If no UK will then probate can take years to establish.

Val

In this case no notaire has dealt with this yet and hence the problem.  The account and cheque are the only property that he had in france and yes I believe that there is a UK will.

I will check with said friend as to when he actually passed away, but I guess that what you are saying is that we will have to go and see a notaire.  Is this something any notaire can do, as obviously I know the guy who did the transactions on our property, but he is a fairly humourless individual.

Stephen

The probate system does not exist in France and it is down to a Notaire to see fair play and sort out taxes due. However, if you can, I would ask the bank concerned what they require to extract the money. If they are local they may be able to suggest a Notaire. I think it likely that any Notaire could deal with the matter.

Liz (29)