Scandalous Exchange Rates

Just a warning to anybody thinking of exchanging money at the bureaux de change in Paris. Be extremely careful to check the rate and ask in advance how much you are going to get for your money.

Brother-in-law yesterday did neither of the above in Montmatre and received the princely sum of 37 for the 40 he had handed over. Despite arguing for 30 minutes or more, the cashier refused to undo the transaction, and I quite understand that as the rates were marked. B-in-law's fault, but it does leave a very nasty taste to think of all these tourists being ripped off.

By chance, later in the day, we took shelter from the rain in the foyer of another bureau de change in Boulevard St Michel, only to meet two Americans who were looking completely bewildered to have received only 50 for their $100. They were disillusioned with Paris only hours after arriving there.

I find it very sad to think how many tourists are being fleeced because they don't realise how appalling the rates are in these bureaux, and leave such a wonderful city with tainted memories.

>Brother-in-law yesterday did neither of the
>above in Montmatre and received
>the princely sum of 37
>for the 40 he had
>handed over. Despite arguing
>for 30 minutes or more,
>the cashier refused to undo
>the transaction, and I quite
>understand that as the rates
>were marked. B-in-law's fault, but
>it does leave a very
>nasty taste to think of
>all these tourists being ripped
>off.

That's almost as outrageous as when I went to the
Moulin Rouge last year. After the show we headed for the small bar opposite in Montmatre for some liquid refreshment. The men had a large (watery) beer each and the ladies a G&T. Well we had a shock when we were presented with the bill for 105 !!! They obviously thought we were idiots, until I went in and queried the bill in perfect French which was EVENTUALLY (don't go there!) reduced to 70. So be warned.

Best Regards,

Paul

>I find it very sad to
>think how many tourists are
>being fleeced because they don't
>realise how appalling the rates
>are in these bureaux, and
>leave such a wonderful city
>with tainted memories.

Oh, I do too. But, in all fairness, this type of rip off happens in many parts of the world, it's not unique to Paris. And most seasoned travellers would recognise that bureau de change in major tourist areas invariably offer a bad exchange rate. I know when you're on a short visit you may have neither time nor inclination to shop around but you have to if you want to ensure the most favourable rate. And most of the major guidebooks today - LP certainly - give very useful tips on where to change money.

M