Electricity Suppliers - deregulation

Washy

I have been trying to get EDF out to make an estimate for connecting us to the grid...at last???? I was speaking to an electrician recently and he said why bother with EDF as electricity supply in France has been recently ( only a few days?)deregulated.

I checked on the internet and there does now seem to be a large number of suppliers. Has anyone had experience of any of these? I have tried contacting a few by e-mail but some state that they are only dealing with businesses and communities.

Does anyone know if a private individual in a remote location can be directly connected to another supplier, or am I tied to my initial connection being through EDF and I could then change for billing purposes.

If you are not a business EdF still has a monopoly. The EU competition regulations required free competition in all countries and markets by I think 2002. The French Government insisted on a delay and the private market will not be opened up until 2007. 1st of July 2004 brought in competition for all businesses and organisations.
So you are stuck with the liitle blue square for the time being unless you want to wait a bit longer......