Mobile phone - Which pay as you go is best

Helooooooooo,

My femme and I plan to sell up in the UK and move to France and we will be living in our caravan while we look for a property in the Bellac - Limoges region.

I have a laptop and I will need a mobile phone to connect to the internet.

Can anyone please offer any advice on the following questions.

Which is the best Pay As You Go mobile phone in France?

Can I load an ISP on my laptop with english so it works in France - if so which ISP?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Pete,
Before deciding which is the best PAYG provider, I would advise you establish which service gives you the best signal in your area. There are many locations in France where one providers signal is available and another is not. Your best way of finding out is either asking a neighbour or visiting a local phone shop.

As you need the phone for internet connections, you could purchase a sim free phone or have your existing one unlocked. This would give you the freedom of purchasing say more than one sim card for PAYG and using the service with the best signal at the time. If you are considering purchasing sim free phone then search the net as they are far cheaper than from retailers.

Baz

Hiya

From my experience of using a laptop to work whilst away in France a suitable PCI card is needed, forget bluetooth connections and the like. Vodafone sell a good card which gives you a seperate number, contract free then try www.expansys.com as they supply a wealth of sim free cards to suit all budgets.

I have a global roaming account with Vodafone, and having travelled all over France and indeed some remote parts of the world, it seems to work everywhere (altho in the UK it is pretty pathetic).

If you want to use a landline but don't have a fixed address then use a global raoming account from Netcom, you'll need a piece of software called I-Pass which will then enable you to download all local ISP's in whatever area you in.

These are temp measures which I have found to be most suitable.

Hope this helps

Greg