Chatterbox in Speedferries

Baz

Another forum not a million miles away introduced a "Chatterbox" section which meant that Chatter in an a important subject as an example in Speedferries would not occur there. This meant anyone going into a subject not titled "Chatterbox" would only read comments relevant to the named topic. I find it off putting when time is limited on entering an ongoing topic to find the new  postings that have nothing to do with the titled subject.

Would it not be a good idea to have a "Chatterbox" section so one can peruse these pages at leisure and if where necessary the moderators could move postings to this section when not appropriate to the topic. This would also have an ongoing improvement when using "search" for a particular topic as reference.

Baz

That may have been the intention at the other forum, but it seems to have just created a place for irrelevant chat, which it seems many of the users of Total France love (I presume that's the forum you mean?), and doesn't seem to have much effect on keeping the rest of the threads on-topic.

Personally, I like the way that things can go off on a tangent and would hate to lose that interest. I remember the fuss that was made when the code of conduct was introduced here, because it included (and still does include) advice to keep to the subject - many users thought they'd be banned for introducing other issues into the conversation. Fortunately that never happened, but under that section of the Code of Conduct we do have the option to move posts elsewhere if they go off topic. I prefer to leave well alone, I don't like anything that looks like censorship, but if moving things around is what most other users want then we could do it.

Will,

Yes, I was referring to Total France and I agree it has led to irrelevant chat but at least you do not have to waste time looking at those sections if you so choose because of their heading. But I am sure lots of people use Living France as wonderful source of information and to plough through irrelevant chat can be frustrating. I totally agree with your comments on censorship, but to do a little housekeeping surely is not to be regarded as any type of censorship. I do not agree with your comments regarding Total France, the serious and informative threads do not  go off thread as much since the introduction of Chatterbox. This could well be as a result of the work behind the scenes of the administrators. If an poster wants to go off track, posting a new thread surely is not difficult.

I am very positive about this improved site and will totally support the views of the members.

Baz

Speaking for myself, I agree with Will and like the way threads develop and take twists and turns.  The only frustration with this is that I can't always remember the name of the thread to check back on to find any new posts!

The only proviso I would make is when a thread becomes a personal discussion between two people that others would find difficult to contribute to (or be interested in) - these discussions would be better held via the private message system.