Residency Permit

sueinbushey

If, as someone stated, it is not necessary to apply for residency or even a Carte de Sejour, is it still possible for my family (husband and 3 children) to run our day to day lives, without problems. For instance, will it still be possible to join the French Health system etc. without a residency permit.

We are in the early stages of looking to move permanently to France and are trying to read up and gather as much information as possible.

Any clarification on such things as above, plus how difficult it is to register for self-employed work (what qualifications are recognized by the French authorities in the building/interiors/kitchen installation trades)?

Any help would be appreciated.

There is no such thing as a "residency permit". If you are a EU citizen you are entitled to live in France. There was a thing called, finally, a Carte de Titre which is now not compulsory but you may ask for one if you get fed up carrying a passport around like me!

If either spouse has paid in the required NI payments in the final 2 years before you leave the UK then Work & Pensions in Newcastle should issue an E106 that covers that spouse, the other spouse and dependants for up to 2 years. On arrival in France you register the E106 with CPAM to join the French system. After the E106 has run out you have to declare worldwide income to be assessed for any payment in France.

In the meantime, if you have obtained work or started a business then that then is an entirely different ballgame and others who know the system better than me will no doubt advise you.

The most important piece of advice I can give from living and working for years in France is that you MUST have savings to fall back on for the first few years until you start to make a living as the bills will come thick and fast,many by direct debit only. Remember that you will be paying many social charges as well as health top up insurances,more insurances for your children to go to school and things you will not even know about yet. Without some sort of contingency fund,don't even attempt it as you will get no help here financially until you have paid in for a few years.Don't expect to earn the type of wage you have in the UK either,it is a lot lower here and people save and pay for their retirement too.

We are anticipating leaving the UK with enough money to live for 1 year without finding employment. We are hoping that during this 'time out' year, my husband will be able to secure some either employed or self-employed work. We are also planning to buy a property so that we have no mortgage and the house will be bought outright. Hope that this leaves us with enough of a cushion!