Chicken Wine

Hello

I recently heard mention by some person somewhere that Chicken Wine is now available in France. I am very partial to a chicken and have tried many outlets and even asked for Poulet Vin, but no one seems to stock it. Any of you come across it?

I wonder which parts of the chicken goes into making the wine?

Amazingly enough I have. Actually, not wine but beer. An old friend made some in the 70s - he was into home brewing and found the recipe in a book. You make your brew and then lob a chicken (or leg of pork) into it. I think the book said a whole chicken, but he plucked it. I suppose the same principle applies to the wine. The chicken (or most of it) eventually disappears, and from what I remember the racking was a problem. I can't remember what it tasted like, so it can't have been too bad.

COCK ALE (circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy....

Procedure:

"Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken (you must gut him when you flaw him). Then, put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put to it five pounds of raisins of the sun - stoned; some blades of mace, and a few cloves. Put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has been working, put the bag and ale together in vessel.

In a week or nine days bottle it up, fill the bottle just above the neck and give it the same time to ripen as other ale."

rgds

Hagar

[quote]COCK ALE (circa the 1500's) A real recipe from some obscure text found in the Scottish Highlands... Enjoy.... Procedure: "Take 10 gallons of ale and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the ...[/quote]

Thanks for that Hagar!

I could make my own chicken wine using your recipe but substituting the ale with 10 gallons of wine! I shall have to get the wine in as I don't have 10 gallons handy, I already have a large cock though, so no problem there.

Dick, You have already tasted the stuff! A shame you can't remember what it tasted like! I suppose it tastes like chicken?

Hmmm.  Sounds vile!

I'm not usually remotely neurotic about food hygiene, but isn't there a lot of concern these days over using the same chopping board for ham as you have just used for raw chicken, or over allowing any liquid from uncooked chicken to drip onto other things in your fridge. 

Angela

As I recall (vague but it was strong stuff) it tasted of cloudy beer. I doubt if raw chicken tastes of much to start with, and when you dilute it - not a lot. Unfortunately Mike is off-net at the moment, so I can't ask him.

>Edit< - I should have said it tasted fowl...

The post title reminded me of an Italian friend who came to stay with us in UK a few years ago.  He spoke hardly any English and we have next to no Italian, so we had an interesting week!  He kept saying he wanted 'Chicken Wine', and we just couldn't work out what he meant, so we took him to the supermarket to show us on the shelves.  He pointed triumphantly to 'Famous Grouse' whisky! 

I've tried it and have to say it was 'foul'

I much prefer Venison myself, can't buy it often though as it is a little 'deer'

My friend used to drink loads of it, sadly he was knocked down by a train, he didn't mind in fact he was 'chuffed to bits'

Sorry, just had to let them out.......chicken wine....mmmmm

[quote]The post title reminded me of an Italian friend who came to stay with us in UK a few years ago. He spoke hardly any English and we have next to no Italian, so we had an interesting week! He kept say...[/quote]

That is the sort of thing me lovely Mom would say, God bless her!