How do I get a shot gun licence in France?

andy c

Does anyone know how to get a shot gun licence in France? We are moving to the Southern Dordogne near Monpazier and although I don't shoot I am about to inherit three shotguns. I am arranging a licence in the UK already so they will be legal here before the move. We will have a few acres out there. I asked about decomissioning as I want to keep them for sentimental reasons but that costs shed loads. Advice most welcome.

You don't need one here for shotguns. Only for automatic and pump action rifles are the gendarmerie interested. We have guns that we have inherited and had all the rigmorole of inspections,safety and the like back inthe UK,here I felt stupid as hell when the authorities looked at me in a funny way for asking about a licence. If you are a chasse member,that is a different kettle of fish and you have laws binding you then.

I forgot to mention that you must inform the police headquarters who issue your UK licence that you have moved and have taken the firearm out of the country so they can cancel you off their books for re-licencing/inspecting.