Tipping

Well for a start off you probably won't see your binmen or postman very much anyway and tipping them is not the norm.We never have the same crew here anyway and I wouldn't get up at 6.00am to give them money. Christmas is another story when the postman,firemen and any other public service may call on your home to sell you a calendar for which you should buy and not be a cheapskate with your contributions either especially the pompiers. Hairdressers yes you can tip,usually a few euros but ours is a lone worker/owner and dosn't accept tips. You will normally see a little pot near the till for tips but if you are not happy,then no.Its a case of using your intelligence really and if you are happy with a service then show it,but again,public workers are not usually tipped like restaurant staff or hairdressers.

I wont be buying the calendar from the binmen this year, as they are currently on strike. Again. Appart from the end of year calendars I have found that French people do pretty much the same as British people. I don't personally tip my hairdresser, but then I didn't in the UK either. However, I never tip a taxi driver, whereas I probably would in the UK. They are so expensive here and generally I feel like they are always out to get that extra euro. I suppose I would tell one to keep the change if I came across a pleasant one who didn't take me all around the houses. However this is yet to happen...

As I understand it a service charge should be included in your bill and there is no need to tip anyone. I would not normally do it unless something special has happened, like the day I was 20 minutes late for the hairdresser and she fitted me in anyway. In shops it would be very rare, I can only think of one occasion when we had a salesman who was particularly helpful with loading the car, over and above what one could normally expect.

When the fire brigade etc come round with their calendars I would find it really hard to refuse and I am lucky that it is only the fireman and not other services that turn up every year.

As for beauty salons and taxis, my first comment applies.

Liz (29)