Annual Travel Insurance for visits to France ?

For the last few years I have organised cover with Rescue France Direct, paying an annual premium to provide medical cover AND vehicle breakdown cover for visits to France.

During the last 12 months, during the validity of my policy, RFD was taken over by another company, which claimed to be offering the same cover on the same emergency phone number.  However, now that they have sent a renewal form, I see that they do not cover the vehicle.

Can anyone recommend a company that offers the same deal as Rescue France Direct used to?  (If this is deemed to be advertising, perhaps you should send me a private email...)

Thanks in advance

Angela (UK & 85)

Good thought about RAC, Dick.  I'll check.

I do have the possibility of Lloyds travel cover too, but I think it's valid only if you pay for your holiday using your direct-debit card, and I usually use my *credit* card (which picks up a few Air Miles).

A

I thought that about Lloyds, but if you have a Platinum account you get insurance deals. I can't remember the details, and of course I've lost the booklet, but there might be something on their website. It was someone on the forum who put me on to it.

To explain about the RAC they now do annual cover, which the AA don't, or at least not on my car which is 10 years old. I cross over 7-8 times a year and arranging cover each time was too much hassle.

I have now reached an 'interesting age' which means that I can get insurance through SAGA.

I insured my car this year to include European and UK breakdown recovery. I can't remember off hand how much it was but I know it was about 1/3 cheaper than any of the other quotes from AA, RAC etc.

Might be worth checking

Lil

If you are planning to travel with Eurotunnel give them a try - their rates were very competitive last year although I've just received a letter from them telling me that I can only renew with them if I've booked travel for the coming year.

Best Regards

Alan.

Oh dear. There are so many ifs and buts...

- I would take the Saga deal, but I need my car insured for my daughter as well, who is in her 30s...

- I have seen the Eurotunnel offer, too; will consider that when I next make a booking.

- Shall probably go for using the Lloyds Platinum (free) for the travel insurance, plus an RAC European breakdown service (not at all free!) for the car.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the input.  I hoped someone had found something like the now vanished Rescue France Direct, but plainly it was too good a deal for anyone else to copy!

Angela (UK, 85 and sometimes 59/62/80 !)