Monet's Giverney

Just come back from two absolutely glorious days in Normandy, one of which visiting Monet's house and garden in Giverney. To say it is superb is an understatement, including the fantastic collection of Japanese Hiroshige [and others] prints for which we were totally unprepared. The gardens were gorgeous, and the gardeners and staff extremely helpful, polite and with a good sense of humour.

On the down side, we went for an evening meal in a local restaurant in Vernon run by a young couple. We asked for a glass of red wine: the proprietor brought a 3/4 empty bottle and put a very, very small amount of wine in the glass - certainly not more than 1 dl. So after the entree we asked for a second glass - same miniscule amount. When the bill came, the charge for each glass of wine was 3.50!!!! Is this normal for the region? Seemed excessive to say the least. Perhaps we should have taken a bottle instead.

We've been a few times (to see the different seasons, how poseur...) and it is fabulous, but very crowded at times. The last 2 times we stayed at a wonderful B&B with a huge pond with ducks, swans (black and white) and other birds. Fabulous place, excellent meals, full measures of wine. I can't remember the name but it was in Sawday.

Yes, I've noticed the stingey quantities that are doled out when you buy wine by the glass.  I have recently stayed in the Nord, in a village in rural Flanders, and they charged 3.50E for an exceedingly measly ration too.  It's totally at the waiter's discretion; at least in the UK they feel obliged to fill up the glass...

The wine-by-the-glass is not even the best - I reckon they could buy a whole bottle for less than they charge for each glass.

So it's not a Giverny rip-off; more a general French one I think. 

Angela

We also went round Monet's gardens some years ago, and it was difficult to take photos there were so many people.  I loved the kitchen, wasn't it yellow and blue?  We had a lovely meal in a nearby restaurant, can't remember the name, and we had two bottles of wine, not glasses!

Edit : I liked the inside nearly as much as the outside (Monet's house, not the restaurant)