PERSONAL LIABILITY - Help

Adrian Rigg

Hi out there,

We are about to holiday let our property in France next year, have been told I should take out personal liability cover. We still live in the UK and have house insurance through our bank in France.

1. Which insurance companies do this for France?
  2. How much should we cover?

Any advice would be appreciated.

We don't know the answer to this but surely the first thing to do is check with your bank in France who have given you insurance.  All "house" insurance in France includes third party insurance - and this extends to things that happen away from the house, (in our case a supermarket trolley "escaped" and hit a parked car. Insurance claim form filled in and nothing more was ever heard!).

Hereford

When we insured our house here we were asked by our bank, Credit Agricole, if we were going to rent it out as that was a different insurance. So I would speak to your bank and they will probably just change your policy.

I first had my gite rented via AXA, as a rental gite.  I then went in and asked for liability cover and was charged 100FF (15euros now) extra.

I've now got everything insured via MACIF which are a lot cheaper and more efficient than AXA or the dreaded AGF, and they include the liability in the contract.

Do ask with your policy holder, you might find that you're covered already!

Someone posted recently saying that accidents that occur in the property that you rent out are not covered during the rental period. eg;if the place was burned to the ground that that wouldn't be covered.

Maybe you should check up on this. I can't remember where this was, maybe in the gite section or even on this bit of the board.

edit I think that this is the thread

http://forums.livingfrance.com/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=283&messageid=148480#bm168347