Exchanged Driving license

maude

I notice in my exchanged French  driving license,a restriction until 04/006 under the caravan towing part.I understand that for the over 60,s a two yearly medical is required.Can someone please throw some light on this re,who does the medical,what does it consist of,do we get reminders from the prefecture etc.Seems a load of cobblers to me -but hey ho we must conform.My new licens also shows me licensed to drive HGV,s which I have never been allowed before!No time limit on this.Alors what confusion they love to instigate.Any help/advice apreciated.Maude

• 2 weeks later...

Maude

I think you will find that you will be expected to book your 'Visite Medicale' under your own steam. 

When I exchanged my licence I had to do the medical before I was issued with the licence, I now have to sit it every 5yrs and unfortunately the date will almost always coincide with the morning after the final day of our village fete!  I presume the rule is different dependant on which side of 60 you sit on?! 

The HGV you will probably find that is actually a 7.5tonne truck, not that heavy.  It's automatically switched from the UK licence as with an ordinary licence in the UK you are allowed to drive 7.5tonnes, (apparently the weight of a caravan and fully loaded 4WD), the French have to sit an extra test to drive this much!!!

Now learn to drive like the French!!!

I don't know if you're aware that you don't need the BE category to tow a caravan provided it is within certain weight limits. Towing a large caravan with a 4x4 would probably need the BE category, but towing an average size caravan with a "normal" family car only needs category B. The categories are the same as in the UK. I can't remember the limits but think that if the total weight of car plus unit is more than 3500 kg and the trailer more than 750 kg, or if the caravan is heavier than the car, then you need BE.

Hope this helps. Sorry to waste your time if you are already aware of this or tow a large unit.

Regards

David